Home Depot selling sunflower seed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Home Depot is carrying yellow bags of dwarf sunspot sunflower seed.

Might be good for planting small strips and plots of anyone has any.

Looked to be about 7.00 a bag.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
3 part question...So, aside from dove, what's else likes them and when do you plant them and how long do they last?

Sent From Ink's House

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
deer love them too -- of course turkey, dove, squirrel, etc etc etc
and they are good support for beans to climb for security and cover

Last edited:

nc rabbit hunter

I sometimes plant the 50 lb bags of birdseed in my plots!!!!!!! It attracts everything walking!!!!!! Even caught some folks stealing sunflower heads out of one of my plots 3 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dirtburn

Four Pointer
The almanac says mid April to late May and about one inch deep, prefer a pH of 6-7.5. I too think I will try the bird seed.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I sometimes plant the 50 lb bags of birdseed in my plots!!!!!!! It attracts everything walking!!!!!! Even caught some folks stealing sunflower heads out of one of my plots 3 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I thought this was my idea :D...I plant birdseed around the edges of the plot in the spring and fall...the cheap stuff with the millet works ok, but the more expensive stuff with the canary seed works awesome and has alot more sunflower and safflower seeds that send up the taller stalks that the other plants like to climb on. Deer annd turkeys will eat alot of the different plants, but deer LOVE sunflower leaves for some reason. I rarely get any plants to mature well for the bigger seed heads since the deer strip the leaves off as soon as they come on the stalks.

corapeake

Eight Pointer
Everytime I've planted a mix with sunflower around here the deer ate them before they got 6", even a glad acre plot.

sent from my Razr Maxx using TapaTalk

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer

I too have done this -- just be aware of some noxious "new" varieties of weeds-- careful where you plant

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So I went to a gardening store this am, and this lady wondered why I was hanging around the birdseed section. I explained to her this thread, and she seemed a little confused. She said the millet in the bags would probably grow, but that "all the other seeds have been treated, so they won't grow". She sounded pretty confident, and suggested I go to agri supply etc.

Anyone ever heard that before?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So I went to a gardening store this am, and this lady wondered why I was hanging around the birdseed section. I explained to her this thread, and she seemed a little confused. She said the millet in the bags would probably grow, but that "all the other seeds have been treated, so they won't grow". She sounded pretty confident, and suggested I go to agri supply etc.

There are some brands that are treated with "vitamins" and something that changes the smell of the seed(ie..blueberry scent..ect..) I'm not certain how that affects germination. I've used the Morning Song from Sams Club and it came up like a certified seed from a Co-Op would, I've also used the $6.00 a bag stuff from TS, but it has lots of millet,cracked corn, and just a few black oil sunflower seeds, I wouldn't recommend that one....
The stuff sprouts around the birdfeeder every spring and summer with different grains, mustard, turnips, sunflower, safflower....and others.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer

The cheaper the seed the better it'll grow, less of it will be treated. I've used the 25-40lb bags from Walmart, it done great