woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
italian sausage is my favorite for these,,,

speaking of which,,,need to grind the last of that hog and make some,,,

timber

Twelve Pointer
Tried some the other day with ground turkey. Threw most away. Think would be good with the hamburger or sausage tho

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
usually put rice on the bottom, but been pre-cooking quinoa lately.
I do season the boat before layering. a good sauce really makes it though.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Make em like you want. No need for a recipe
Sauté onions peppers garlic what ever you want
Add veggies or meat or both. Ground or not.
Add red sauce or white sauce or butter or not. Stewed or canned tomatoes are fine. Or not.

Bake on 400 untill the squash is soft.

Add cheese and broil a sec if you like or not.

Don’t forget to dig out your squash and add it to the mix. Or not.

I prefer acorn or spaghetti squash as my boat.

Wife likes bread crumbs on hers.
I like cheese and a fried egg.

We have done stir fry rice squash boats and they are slamming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Usually I bake them in the oven , covering with foil will speed up the cook time.
This particular time was my first in the cast iron. I use a potato scrubber when washing because you eat the whole boat. After splitting and spooning out the seed/fibers , turn the zuk over and shave , like 1/8" off the rounded bottom so it lays flat. I sprinkle some veg. season in the bottom of the boat then add 4-5 tablespoons of uncooked rice rice . This time I used quinoa (pre soaked) Next layer your cooked ground meat. I like to mix the cooked meat into the tomato sauce first. Our sauce usually has the meat , onions , peppers, diced tomato in it already. Set it on an oiled dish/pan. I think I had the oven at 350* , low sizzled the Zuk stove top a few minutes then into the oven for about 25 minutes. Stick edge of zuk with a fork to check softness. Add cheese on top , back in the oven, turn to broil about 2 minutes.