You've Just Shot A BIG BUCK!

george426f

Four Pointer
If service allows I’ll text a picture of the bloody arrow to a group text I have with my 2 brothers, but first phone call is the wife to tell her I’ll be a little late.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
NCWRC...

When my Grandpa was alive, he was the 2d person I'd call. No matter buck or doe, he always enjoyed hearing about it. Since, I've called Grandmama. She used to get on the other line when I called Grandpa, and she'd giggle like a little school girl.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Not enough info. Did you shoot him out the truck window? In the city? Spotlight or headlights?

Usually one of my hunting buddies. Then wife and some buddies.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
first phone call is the wife to tell her I’ll be a little late.

Here's how it goes for me on evening hunts.

Bang! Get home late. Walk into the house.

Wife: Why are you so late? I was so worried you got hurt.

Me: I shot a deer. Took me some time to get it out of the woods.

Wife: You need to call me next time.

Me: Okay

Two weeks later, bang!

Wife: Why are you so late? I was so worried you got hurt. You promised to call me if you're going to be late.

Me: I forgot.

• Haha
Reactions: DRS

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
My dad these days.

The biggest buck I’ve ever killed was the last time I talked to my papa right after shooting one. His health went downhill in a hurry afterwards. I killed a doe later that year but he was already asleep when I went to call him. I’ll never take calling my dad after shooting for granted again after that one.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Lost my dad August 14th. Mom is usually hunting with me and if not she is not a big phone user. So......me my wife and daughter have a group text. That would be first text/call. And probably my only one.

Hopeful_Hunter

Four Pointer
Honestly...no one...my wife to tell her I got one and will be late getting home, the WRC to fill the tag...

If it's "nice deer" big no one really cares outside my friends that I'd send a text to.

If it's record setting big it seems that invites a weird level of interest that I don't want.
Are you on the lam??

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
I text the word "dead" to 3 people. My wife being one and 2 good friends. All 3 know who's dead at that point.

Hopeful_Hunter

Four Pointer
If my wife isn't with me already, I call her first - if my brother is with me in another part of the woods, I call him first.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Are you on the lam??
No...just that if its big enough to get other people's interest that's contrary to my best interests. I've heard too many stories of guys that shoot big bucks to have weirdos pop out of the woodwork or jealous folks call in tips to the GW even if they never did anything wrong.

Hopeful_Hunter

Four Pointer
No...just that if its big enough to get other people's interest that's contrary to my best interests. I've heard too many stories of guys that shoot big bucks to have weirdos pop out of the woodwork or jealous folks call in tips to the GW even if they never did anything wrong.
That stinks.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My woman, but she is usually doing the shooting. Second my kennel partner. When it is not our hounds, I call the owner first to make sure the hounds gets back and thank them.

Last edited: