Youth hunt data courtsey NCWRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Reported Deer Harvest Data for Youth Hunters
Brad Howard, Private Lands Coordinator,
provided the committee with deer harvest data
pertaining to youth hunters less than 16 years of age. Of the 250,000 deer hunters in NC, 18,000
are youth under age 16. Howard stated that 6.1 percent of the reported deer harvest is by youth,
with 69 percent by ages 12–15. Weapons used by youth are 86 percent gun, 8 percent
muzzleloader, and 4 percent bow and arrow. Howard reported that the number one youth
hunting day is the Friday after Thanksgiving. Sixty-seven percent of the youth harvest falls on
Saturdays or holidays. Discussion was held about adding a special Youth Day to provide
additional opportunity for young people to be able to hunt.

Action: staff will come back to the Big Game Committee in May with some options for Youth
Hunting days.

Looks like a youth day is in the future.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...mmaries/2014/022614-BigGameMeetingSummary.pdf

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i really wish they would get the month of august, any weapon. extend the season by a week per month of season (like they did for turkeys) and get those youth to killing. it's too hard to get them out during the regular season especially in the west. August would be great as they wont even be in school so they could hunt early while it was cool.

and before you start nobody would take advantage of the situation and poach.

well unless they were going to anyway and the state dont care so why should you?

Six Pointer
I am all for a youth day. Should be week before bow season or Saturday before bow season like they do in Va. Kids should have a day to feel special and maybe get them into hunting instead of somewhere getting into trouble. My dad got me into hunting early and I'm sure it keep me out of a lot of trouble. Our kids today have to many ways, way more than when we were growing up, to get messed up with drugs, gangs, etc. We all should support this as this same kids will be voting in 10 years or so. We need to get the kids on a good path early, and let them not be educated by the libs that want our hunting rights and our guns.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
All they need to do is pass Sunday hunting--this DOUBLES THE NUMBER OF POTENTIAL HUNTING DAYS FOR OUR YOUTH. How many ways can you think of that will give the kids more time in the woods?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
All they need to do is pass Sunday hunting--this DOUBLES THE NUMBER OF POTENTIAL HUNTING DAYS FOR OUR YOUTH. How many ways can you think of that will give the kids more time in the woods?

The WRC supports Sunday hunting.