Youth deer day the 28th this year

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

A day when adults, sorry I mean kids can shoot deer with a gun during bow season.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I just saw where a 4 year old's Daddy said the kid shot their first deer.... it's archery season!

I'm beginning to think this is going over board.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My son is excited.
Our hunt club puts on a youth hunt for all that wants to come. This is the 4th year and it has grown exponentially. We have breakfast then go on dog hunts as long as possible to it gets too hot. (which is usually about lunch) then come in and break for lunch. Have skeet and turkey shoots and then for the ones that want we have several stands for still hunts.

It has been a ball watching the kids, most have a ball, both the ones that kill deer and the ones that don't.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Our hunt club puts on a youth hunt for all that wants to come. This is the 4th year and it has grown exponentially. We have breakfast then go on dog hunts as long as possible to it gets too hot. (which is usually about lunch) then come in and break for lunch. Have skeet and turkey shoots and then for the ones that want we have several stands for still hunts.

It has been a ball watching the kids, most have a ball, both the ones that kill deer and the ones that don't.

That's awesome! May have to check it out next year.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hope every kid takes advantage of it and I hope it is outlawed as soon as possible. Youth days are a farce, every day is youth day if an adult will simply take the kid when they want to go and not worry about losing "their" hunting time.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hope every kid takes advantage of it and I hope it is outlawed as soon as possible. Youth days are a farce, every day is youth day if an adult will simply take the kid when they want to go and not worry about losing "their" hunting time.
I think the one day youth season makes a lot more sense then the weeklong turkey youth season.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the one day youth season makes a lot more sense then the weeklong turkey youth season.
I personally can set right on the top of the fence post and straddle it. When I had young children I had absolutely no need for a special day to take them hunting. Still don't have a need to take one. I have some grandchildren that will soon be big enough. But since they do have one and someone in our club started this I am 100% behind it and help in every way I can.

What I really think is ironic is someone that doesn't really hunt at all (not referring to you BTW) taking snipes at it.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
At least they got it out of bow season and into a season where blaze orange is already required. They wanted to reduce blackpowder to one week. They might as well go ahead and do that and make archery one week longer.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
That depends on what part of the state you are hunting. Around my area it is still archery.
True. Downeast, where I hunt, it is so humid and bug-infested, very few do the youth day. Looks like they're trying to move it back into cooler weather. Good luck with that.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Also the opener of eastern ML. Don’t think mine are going this year. Lexi prefers turkey season and Morgan is working every Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer

I will be bringing 3 to hunt with yall this year. I think this is a great thing your club does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just saw where a 4 year old's Daddy said the kid shot their first deer.... it's archery season!

I'm beginning to think this is going over board.
My son is 5 but he can shoot a crossbow with the best of them. All I do is load it for him. He adjusts the rest, aims does the trigger and all. I will see if I can post the video. But everday is youth day for him as far as Im concerned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk