Youth day

evansperf

Eight Pointer
Is it legal to use a rifle in central season on youth day?
I read one place as "ANY" legal weapon and read as "any legal weapon for the season open in that county" in another place.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can use a rifle on youth day (if you meet the criteria) if it is legal to use one ANYTIME otherwise during the regular season. For the few counties that have local restrictions against rifles you are bound to those restrictions.

Tallpine89

Four Pointer
What date is youth day on this season? I could look it up but figured it quicker to just ask here. Thanks.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Not if they are bow hunting during a deer gun season.

What you posted is the requirement if using a firearm for deer.

Interestingly that requirement doesn't apply to bow hunters but this one does:

Any person hunting deer during a deer firearms season shall wear hunter orange. Hunter orange material is a material that is a daylight fluorescent orange color. This section does not apply to a landholder, his spouse, or children, who are hunting on land held by the landholder.

All it says is "shall wear hunter orange"

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not if they are bow hunting during a deer gun season.

What you posted is the requirement if using a firearm for deer.

Interestingly that requirement doesn't apply to bow hunters but this one does:

All it says is "shall wear hunter orange"
When they say you are required to wear hunter orange and no more then you are required to go by normal hunter orange requirements. Anyone with COMMON sense would know that.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I disagree.

Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation.

But is it worth being cited by an officer and taking it to court? No.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I disagree.

Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation.

But is it worth being cited by an officer and taking it to court? No.
And I guess that is the only "Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation" that you have seen them do? ROLMAO When/where have you seen the state of NC require more or less than a hat or cap in hunter orange? So why would you have thrown your original comment out there about not knowing how much was required other than to just stir the pot?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And I guess that is the only "Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation" that you have seen them do?

No.

Anyway.

There is no minimum orange requirement in the statute for deer bow hunters.

I can wear a hunter orange sticker on my forehead and comply with the straight text of section referring to bow hunters bow hunting deer during a firearms deer season.

Your problem is with the legislature for writing it poorly.

Common sense should tell a bow hunter to wear enough orange to be seen safely by a youth gun hunter. Be s.afe, be seen.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No.

Anyway.

There is no minimum orange requirement in the statute for deer bow hunters.

I can wear a hunter orange sticker on my forehead and comply with the straight text of section referring to bow hunters bow hunting deer during a firearms deer season.

Your problem is with the legislature for writing it poorly.

Common sense should tell a bow hunter to wear enough orange to be seen safely by a youth gun hunter. Be s.afe, be seen.
I didn't have a problem, YOU brought it up. And a sticker on your forehead would be a good idea, P.M. me for wording.

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
For whatever it’s worth, I’m an attorney who reads statutes every day - unfortunately. I think it’s pretty clear ALL hunters have to wear orange on youth day. Let’s face it... the orange is to protect “the other guy” not the person holding the gun. It’s especially wise on a day you have inexperienced hunters holding guns as a simple matter of the purpose of the day. That being said, I’d be pretty shocked to see a warden cite a bowhunter without a kid in tow on youth day with failing to wear orange. While ignorance of the law is not a defense, unless a hunter has a child or hunts with others who have children in the field regularly, it’s fair to assume he/she knows little about youth day.

For whatever this is worth, an orange sticker on your forehead likely doesn’t comply with an orange requirement because it’s not visible from all sides.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
For whatever it’s worth, I’m an attorney who reads statutes every day - unfortunately. I think it’s pretty clear ALL hunters have to wear orange on youth day. Let’s face it... the orange is to protect “the other guy” not the person holding the gun. It’s especially wise on a day you have inexperienced hunters holding guns as a simple matter of the purpose of the day. That being said, I’d be pretty shocked to see a warden cite a bowhunter without a kid in tow on youth day with failing to wear orange. While ignorance of the law is not a defense, unless a hunter has a child or hunts with others who have children in the field regularly, it’s fair to assume he/she knows little about youth day.

For whatever this is worth, an orange sticker on your forehead likely doesn’t comply with an orange requirement because it’s not visible from all sides.
we need you to be far more active in your posts. Our shade tree attorneys here give some questionable opinions.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
I haven't read it in a long time, but (except landowner, etc...) I thought everyone was expected to wear orange tomorrow (because tomorrow is a "limited" firearms season), I know I would without the gov't telling me I needed to.

Johnnie

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't read it in a long time, but (except landowner, etc...) I thought everyone was expected to wear orange tomorrow (because tomorrow is a "limited" firearms season), I know I would without the gov't telling me I needed to.

Johnnie

Only if you are bow hunting deer.

Bow hunting feral pigs or coyotes? Orange not legally required.

Good luck tomorrow. Be safe. Be seen.

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Pretty sure that it doesn’t apply to ALL hunters; private landholders, their spouse, and dependents are exempt from the hunter orange requirement on own land.

I still wear my orange hat on our private land. Just because it’s my family’s farm doesn’t mean I am the only one there. A few run ins with “uninvited guests” has taught me that lesson.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I still wear my orange hat on our private land. Just because it’s my family’s farm doesn’t mean I am the only one there. A few run ins with “uninvited guests” has taught me that lesson.

Nothing against it. Only correcting a lawyer.