Youth day

evansperf

Eight Pointer
Is it legal to use a rifle in central season on youth day?
I read one place as "ANY" legal weapon and read as "any legal weapon for the season open in that county" in another place.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
If you’re under 18 you can use a rifle in any county on youth day. If you’re 18 or over only the legal weapon for the season / county may be used.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can use a rifle on youth day (if you meet the criteria) if it is legal to use one ANYTIME otherwise during the regular season. For the few counties that have local restrictions against rifles you are bound to those restrictions.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hunters are required to wear a cap, hat or an outer garment in blaze orange that is visible from all sides.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Not if they are bow hunting during a deer gun season.

What you posted is the requirement if using a firearm for deer.

Interestingly that requirement doesn't apply to bow hunters but this one does:

Any person hunting deer during a deer firearms season shall wear hunter orange. Hunter orange material is a material that is a daylight fluorescent orange color. This section does not apply to a landholder, his spouse, or children, who are hunting on land held by the landholder.
All it says is "shall wear hunter orange"

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not if they are bow hunting during a deer gun season.

What you posted is the requirement if using a firearm for deer.

Interestingly that requirement doesn't apply to bow hunters but this one does:

All it says is "shall wear hunter orange"
When they say you are required to wear hunter orange and no more then you are required to go by normal hunter orange requirements. Anyone with COMMON sense would know that.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I disagree.

Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation.

But is it worth being cited by an officer and taking it to court? No.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I disagree.

Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation.

But is it worth being cited by an officer and taking it to court? No.
And I guess that is the only "Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation" that you have seen them do? ROLMAO When/where have you seen the state of NC require more or less than a hat or cap in hunter orange? So why would you have thrown your original comment out there about not knowing how much was required other than to just stir the pot?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And I guess that is the only "Its a poorly worded requirement open to interpretation" that you have seen them do?
No.

Anyway.

There is no minimum orange requirement in the statute for deer bow hunters.

I can wear a hunter orange sticker on my forehead and comply with the straight text of section referring to bow hunters bow hunting deer during a firearms deer season.

Your problem is with the legislature for writing it poorly.

Common sense should tell a bow hunter to wear enough orange to be seen safely by a youth gun hunter. Be s.afe, be seen.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No.

Anyway.

There is no minimum orange requirement in the statute for deer bow hunters.

I can wear a hunter orange sticker on my forehead and comply with the straight text of section referring to bow hunters bow hunting deer during a firearms deer season.

Your problem is with the legislature for writing it poorly.

Common sense should tell a bow hunter to wear enough orange to be seen safely by a youth gun hunter. Be s.afe, be seen.
I didn't have a problem, YOU brought it up. And a sticker on your forehead would be a good idea, P.M. me for wording.