Your'e gonna need a bigger boat

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Saw a hammerhead caught between the sandbar and the beach when the tide went out. In Frisco, late ‘80s.
Longer than the truck. Huge Shark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never seen a white in the wild. Have seen Tigers, Bulls and Hammerheads while diving all in excess of 6ft. Biggest thing I think I have ever seen though was a Grouper off the coast of Cozumel many moons ago.. that thing was massive. Bucket list item is to dive with a whale shark.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago I saw a Hammerhead that was about 11 feet long. It was swimming around a pier in Fort Walton Beach. 1991.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a hammerhead caught between the sandbar and the beach when the tide went out. In Frisco, late ‘80s.
Longer than the truck. Huge Shark.

muses to be a big hammer that hung out at Frisco pier. Pin riggers had a time trying to keep bait buckets from what I understand

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw the biggest of them all, a whale shark (not dangerous in the normal sense), that stayed just off south beach for most of the day about 30 years ago. You could just see his dorsal and tail fins sticking up about 50 feet apart. Made the local headlines.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Dad and I saw a whale shark on the W side of Cape Lookout while Spanish fishing. Longer than the 20' boat I was in...

Dad and I caught a 9' hammerhead on AR315. There was some kind of sailboard fleet that came off the beach to circle the yellow buoy and head back to shore. That was going to be one angry shark if it got off at the wrong time....

Was with wife and kids (4 and 6 years old) on AR315 and a hammerhead circled that was half as long as the boat (24' - the boat, not the fish). Got all the king baits out of the water fast! Did not want her hanging around.

Bluefinning alone off the Knuckle, had a strike that almost spooled me. Dragged the boat back to the fish and leaned over the side to wire it. Suddenly a white appendage about 5' long whipped out of the water, thought a sea monster was going to take my head off. Turned out to be a thresher tail.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Had a lot of great shark tales off Oceana and Triple S Piers when in college in the 80s. We once had a 10-11 foot great white up and down the beach and under the pier for a couple of hours, enough that marine fisheries was called from Morehead and they confirmed it was in fact a white since I guess nobody believed us . We tried to catch /feed it a bait on our King gear then got in trouble for attempting to catch a shark about the time marine fisheries showed up(which was against the rules).
Caught several nice spinners, Bulls and hammerheads while king, cobia or tarpon fishing and we would warn surfers when we bringing one down the rail to try and beach it. Some guys didn't believe it til they saw the 8 foot spinner jump right behind them in the surf zone then the beach would clear.
Have seen a few whites offshore fishing mostly early bluefin season.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
muses to be a big hammer that hung out at Frisco pier. Pin riggers had a time trying to keep bait buckets from what I understand

If the swimmers only knew.
I used to swim in the ocean all the time. Swim out past the beakers and float on my back over the big swells for awhile.
I can’t do it anymore. Shark anxiety gets the best of me.
I’ll get in and cool off, but I don’t hang out as long as I used to.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Had about a 16' white cruise through our spread last summer near the rise. We thought it was a huge marlin when we saw the shadow under the water so I was dropping a bait back to him. Then that huge dorsal popped up. Awesome sight!!!

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Had about a 16' white cruise through our spread last summer near the rise. We thought it was a huge marlin when we saw the shadow under the water so I was dropping a bait back to him. Then that huge dorsal popped up. Awesome sight!!!
That’s cool! What time of the year was it?

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
There was a video posted on oifc years ago the had a huge great white swim up to the boat and turn away. Bet that was cool to see in person.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Piss on a shark.....watched sandbars eat gulls off the surface at the point one day, while BakBar was aight fishing drum and pulling up heads from mid 40s fish that hammers had claimed.

Way too many out there for my tastes. I made 7 casts one morning in April and lost 7 rigs as fast as I could get in the water and said piss on that.
If we could work out a deal with the Chinese or whoever to come fish sandbars and garbos id be a happy man. Take some dolphins and pelicans while you’re at it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it's been bad when we try to tuna fish,,,,loose as many to sharks (or more) than we boat whole,,,

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Piss on a shark.....watched sandbars eat gulls off the surface at the point one day, while BakBar was aight fishing drum and pulling up heads from mid 40s fish that hammers had claimed.

Way too many out there for my tastes. I made 7 casts one morning in April and lost 7 rigs as fast as I could get in the water and said piss on that.
If we could work out a deal with the Chinese or whoever to come fish sandbars and garbos id be a happy man. Take some dolphins and pelicans while you’re at it.

I say the same things about humans most of the time..

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Two big shark encounters.

About ten years ago my ex hubs and I were offshore about 40 miles. Flat calm day. Nothing biting. HOT. I jumped in to heed the call of nature and cool off. Climbed back in and was rinsing the salt off when a 16 ft tiger shark swam right by the boat, within a few feet. Yikes!

About twenty years ago my step dad was wade fishing in Tampa Bay while I paddled around in a kayak. He thought he was hung on the bottom. Asked me to paddle out and check it out. I did. There was a big hole with the line going down too far for me to see. Then a HUGE hammer head came up out of the hole1 Pop said it looked like someone had cranked an outboard on the back of my kayak!
:eek:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Seen a hammer at N Topsail that was over 12 ft, chased a big stingray onto the beach about 10 feet in front of me while surf fishing

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Dad and I saw a whale shark on the W side of Cape Lookout while Spanish fishing. Longer than the 20' boat I was in...

Dad and I caught a 9' hammerhead on AR315. There was some kind of sailboard fleet that came off the beach to circle the yellow buoy and head back to shore. That was going to be one angry shark if it got off at the wrong time....

Was with wife and kids (4 and 6 years old) on AR315 and a hammerhead circled that was half as long as the boat (24' - the boat, not the fish). Got all the king baits out of the water fast! Did not want her hanging around.

Bluefinning alone off the Knuckle, had a strike that almost spooled me. Dragged the boat back to the fish and leaned over the side to wire it. Suddenly a white appendage about 5' long whipped out of the water, thought a sea monster was going to take my head off. Turned out to be a thresher tail.
[/QUOTE

caught a big thresher off old drum inlet many years ago while striper fishing one winter day. Can’t remember the year but it was the last year they got down that far. We were in a 20 foot skiff and seemed like the tail was at least1/3 as long as the boat. Thing fought and jumped like a marlin. It was pretty cool.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Yeah, I thought I had a bluefin on and had never seen a thresher. When I stuck my head over the side to look that tail slashed around right at my face. Thought I had the Kraken! Cut that line in a hurry.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Seen some monster Hammerheads at Myrtle Beach is very shallow water and a few big ones near the radio Island Bridge.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Yeah, I though I had a bluefin on and had never seen a thresher. When I stuck my head over the side to look that tail slashed around right at my face. Thought I had the Kraken! Cut that line in a hurry.
Thresher is supposed to be good eating but I have never caught one. That’s a cool catch for sure.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Never seen a white in the wild. Have seen Tigers, Bulls and Hammerheads while diving all in excess of 6ft. Biggest thing I think I have ever seen though was a Grouper off the coast of Cozumel many moons ago.. that thing was massive. Bucket list item is to dive with a whale shark.
Haaa saw a couple of those huge grouper diving the wall at Cozumel, one swam right up to my 95 pound wife, it make her look even smaller than normal.