"You never own a dog quite as much as they own you"

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Man that was a tough read. I am very sorry for your loss as I know what it's like to lose a good old dog. Prayers for comfort for your family.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got tears running down my cheeks reading this as my 7 year old feist lays in my lap. She's as much part of our family as my two boys. May the memories of the great hunts comfort you.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hate it for ya and I know the feeling....you just can't beat a good dog, saw a coffee mug one time that said.....The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very sorry for your loss. That's exactly the reason my wife hasn't had a dog in 10 years now, they are another family member that typically doesn't live as long as we do and it takes a part of us when they leave us.
We have a 21 year old parrot that is starting to change his daily habits, slow down a bit and generally let us know that he's not gonna be here a whole lot longer. It's amazing how an animal can affect your life in so many good ways.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our dogs are family, and it always hurts losing one. You can take comfort in the fact that by fixing him up like you did when he was injured, you gave him a second chance at a life that he otherwise wouldn't have had.

And I'm sure Jake would tell you he had the best life a dog could ask for.......

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks each and everyone for the kind words and p.m.'s. It was a tough night, well real tough this morning. But I didn't expect it to be easy. I have had a couple that I really cared about but never had one that my wife was so attached to, so along with missing him seeing her pain just compounds it. But we will get by, the talks about his goofy antics etc. at least are getting longer now before one of us loose it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry for your loss.

Kills me every time. Someone once said a dog’s lifespan was engineered by God - so we could love more of them (throughout ours). I sure have loved a few.

I can never imagine loving another when I lose one. Then, I do (each time).

I know it’s still stinging, but there’s a beautiful pup needing a home in the classifieds.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Ive had to put 3 of my rabbit hounds down in the last 3months.....cancer, heart disease, kidney failure..12,13, and 7yo.....never easy.......you're lucky to get 14 years with any hunting dog imo…..

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive had to put 3 of my rabbit hounds down in the last 3months.....cancer, heart disease, kidney failure..12,13, and 7yo.....never easy.......you're lucky to get 14 years with any hunting dog imo…..
I have two more that are in the kennels now that are 14 and living out their retirement. They have been out of the hunting scene over 3 years I am just repaying them for all the years of enjoyment they gave me. One male is healthy as a bull but can't hear a lick, another female will soon follow Jake, she has a number of ailments and has already surprised me several times. I have expected to go down and she be gone. She isn't in any real pain or I would put her down.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Guys you want to think you are tough and have it under control? I tried to keep everything bottled up during all this and did for the most part especially around my wife, I won't lie I shed plenty of tears alone when I could hide them.

Saturday I was working on my kennels and the FedEx truck rolled up and had a package addressed to both of us. This was what was inside. It was from friends from Ok. Needless to say I was glad my wife wasn't here because the floodgates opened. I guess it was time. 49384877_564695614005789_5969564010939416576_n.jpg50295338_224643145081795_1346047393426046976_n.jpg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Guys you want to think you are tough and have it under control? I tried to keep everything bottled up during all this and did for the most part especially around my wife, I won't lie I shed plenty of tears alone when I could hide them.

Saturday I was working on my kennels and the FedEx truck rolled up and had a package addressed to both of us. This was what was inside. It was from friends from Ok. Needless to say I was glad my wife wasn't here because the floodgates opened. I guess it was time. View attachment 24274View attachment 24275

Man!!! That's awesome!!! You do have friends in OK. Sorry to hear about your family member. I, too, have floodgates.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
THAT was tough to read all of the way through!

I can't imagine how comforting it would be for me to pass in the hands of and my last glance at those who loved me the most.

I feel Jake was very blessed to have those as his last thoughts, sights, and touches.

I am SO SORRY for the pain you and your MRS are going through though!