You need to make this!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I've gone looking for venison pastrami recipes since you posted. I'm thinking of trying one from Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/CWC-Venison-Pastrami/580910580.uts

Whatever one I try, I'm going to do a dry cure versus a wet brine. Also instead of just putting the meat in a bag in the refrigerator, I'm going to vacuum seal it while it cures.
That one is interesting. It does not use any salt except for the tender quick. Hank Shaw uses a lot of salt to cure the meat. I'm wondering if they would effect the texture since the salt pulls some of the moisture out. I guess that's why it says to brine for 5 days as opposed to the 24-48 hours like Hanks.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have a venison roast dry curing in the refrigerator right now. Next weekend, it'll be going into the smoker.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
I tried this a few weeks ago with a goose breast. Followed hanks recipe but instead of smoking it for the whole cook time I cold smoked it for about an hour and finished it with my sous vide rig.....came out perfect.

Attachments

• 26F8AF9D-55D6-4FAA-8FFA-0655C43A6461.jpeg
    26F8AF9D-55D6-4FAA-8FFA-0655C43A6461.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 284BDC78-6DC4-4E91-BC42-190D5024D13C.jpeg
    284BDC78-6DC4-4E91-BC42-190D5024D13C.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 42

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
apple might be good. IMO it hold up well to stronger smoke like oak, hickory, and pecan. Just a guess but with the lighter flavor woods you may need to try to increase your smoke time since it's already pretty short.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Another thing I'm considering is following the smoke with steam. As I read about various venison (and beef) pastrami, many stated that the meat needs to reach a higher temperature than 150F mentioned in Shaw's recipe to help make the meat more tender (or more correctly break down the tough connective tissue). Some steam the meat after taking the pastrami off the smoker until it reaches about 200F.

Still thinking about this. I wish I had done two chunks of meat so I could have compared.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Got 2.5 lbs curing in the fridge as we speak ,smoking will begin on saturdaycan't wait to try it

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Another thing I'm considering is following the smoke with steam. As I read about various venison (and beef) pastrami, many stated that the meat needs to reach a higher temperature than 150F mentioned in Shaw's recipe to help make the meat more tender (or more correctly break down the tough connective tissue). Some steam the meat after taking the pastrami off the smoker until it reaches about 200F.

Still thinking about this. I wish I had done two chunks of meat so I could have compared.

Steam it just prior to serving.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Final product

08965195fa90c65d4b53b3ac99bc3271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk