You mean Oxtail is really Oxtail?!?!

specialk

Twelve Pointer
LOL......

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have never understood what people have against meat when it isn't from where they usually get it. There is a reason ox tail is as expensive as it is and that is because there isn't that much of it and it is excellent meat. It is ok with me that some folks don't understand that MEAT is MEAT. Those are the ones who will be leaving the population while some of us are skinning snakes and eating grasshoppers.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have never understood what people have against meat when it isn't from where they usually get it. There is a reason ox tail is as expensive as it is and that is because there isn't that much of it and it is excellent meat. It is ok with me that some folks don't understand that MEAT is MEAT. Those are the ones who will be leaving the population while some of us are skinning snakes and eating grasshoppers.

Most folks haven't been poor* enough to have to eat the whole cow (and its 295lb liver). Those of us who have* know about eating everything but the hoof.

*We weren't near poor, but my parents were children of the depression era. Nobody was throwing away meat in our house.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Oxtail used to be about the cheapest pieces of beef you could buy. My grandmother and my mother used to cook it sometimes , with barley , good stuff.

I guess people "discovered" it or something , I've seen it as high as $15/lb. Above my paygrade.

Mike

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Oxtail used to be about the cheapest pieces of beef you could buy. My grandmother and my mother used to cook it sometimes , with barley , good stuff.

I guess people "discovered" it or something , I've seen it as high as $15/lb. Above my paygrade.

Mike

Same with corned beef

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So let me understand, beef producers are raising oxen now just for their tails?
Otherwise isn't this false advertising? Somebody trying to sneak in some steer tails and calling them ox tails? Maybe even a cow tail or a bull tail if they got really stretchy with the facts?
Hmmm......next thing they'll be selling cow testicles šŸ˜‰

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So let me understand, beef producers are raising oxen now just for their tails?
Otherwise isn't this false advertising? Somebody trying to sneak in some steer tails and calling them ox tails? Maybe even a cow tail or a bull tail if they got really stretchy with the facts?
Hmmm......next thing they'll be selling cow testicles šŸ˜‰

Well, according to Merriam-Webster you are Tilting at windmills
Steers and cows are ā€œoxenā€,,,,

ox​

1 of 2

noun

ĖˆĆ¤ks

plural oxen ĖˆĆ¤k-sən also ox
: a domestic bovine mammalian

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, according to Merriam-Webster you are Tilting at windmills
Steers and cows are ā€œoxenā€,,,,

ox​

1 of 2

noun

ĖˆĆ¤ks

plural oxen ĖˆĆ¤k-sən also ox
: a domestic bovine mammalian
Naw.. ain't no cow ever pulled an ox cart, I've watched my share of westerns and I know that to be a fact.
Oxen are huge and so are their tails, you can't fool me with all your dictionary stuff.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Otherwise isn't this false advertising?

Delmonico Steakā€¦ folks canā€™t even agree on the cut much less a Delmonico Steak can only be found at Delmonicoā€™s.

Tomahawk or ribeyeā€¦.. comes from the same cutā€¦genius marketing like Tim the Tool Man did for Binfordā€¦ ARR AR ARG.

Cuts of beef can be called anything even Flamingo Steak. False advertising would be lying about it being beef and actually Flamingo meat.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Delmonico Steakā€¦ folks canā€™t even agree on the cut much less a Delmonico Steak can only be found at Delmonicoā€™s.

Tomahawk or ribeyeā€¦.. comes from the same cutā€¦genius marketing like Tim the Tool Man did for Binfordā€¦ ARR AR ARG.

Cuts of beef can be called anything even Flamingo Steak. False advertising would be lying about it being beef and actually Flamingo meat.
What about them buffalo wings , bet you ain't never seen a buffalo with wings.
...or a pig fly unless it's in a aeroplane.....which brings us to horses , is a winged pegasus a horsefly ?

Mike