Yesteryear's Gear

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I was reflecting back and recalling some of the equipment my Dad and I used back in the early '70s when we first started deer hunting. The thought of some of these things really takes me back.

Thought it might be fun to hear what equipment, gear, etc. you all used to use that takes you back.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I'll start. Seems everybody wore the "jones" style hat back then....but I haven't even seen one in a long time. Pete Rickard's Indian Buck Lure was a staple and we lit-up and carried Jon-E handwarmers when the weather got cold.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I still wear the same Jones hat I used back in the early 80s. It still has the made in America marking on it. As far as I'm concerned, a better hunting hat has never been made. After 30-some years, mine now practically glows with good mojo.
I also use my original Buck lock-blade and, when cold, wear a heavy wool shirt/jacket, probably made in 70s.
Also recently purchased two vintage Loc-On stands that are still as good as the day they were made. I could go on and on. Love vintage hunting stuff.

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In our deer camp you needed 2 things:
1. A giant green bottle of scent killer gel for the shower
2. A Game Tracker string, bolted to your Bear Whitetail Compound bow (dual-pulleys baby!)

You tied the string to the end of your super-thick aluminum arrow (which was cut short for the over-draw), and the string was secured right behind a 4-blade Satellite.

Oh, the hilarious stories I could tell you about how these strings affected a bow hunt in so many ways back in the day...

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I'm sure we all remember the old baker climbing stands it"s a wonder we are all not dead, old military style camoflage clothing that was the best ,loved the tiger striped style,and the insulated underwear that really sucked to todays version in keeping you warm. AH the good old days 70"s and 80"s

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm sure we all remember the old baker climbing stands it"s a wonder we are all not dead, old military style camoflage clothing that was the best ,loved the tiger striped style,and the insulated underwear that really sucked to todays version in keeping you warm. AH the good old days 70"s and 80"s

You know, I've never talked to somebody who has hunted out of a baker that hasn't almost died once or twice in one of those things. It's almost like a badge of honor or paying your dues. I remember when I was in high school the old timers used to tell me, ya'll boys got it so easy now with your safety harnesses and fancy climbing stands. We damn near risked our life every Saturday in hopes of seeing a doe".

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
In our deer camp you needed 2 things:
1. A giant green bottle of scent killer gel for the shower
2. A Game Tracker string, bolted to your Bear Whitetail Compound bow (dual-pulleys baby!)

We had the green bottle/bar of scent killer soap.

One thing I remember about yesteryear 'gear' is that much of it was made, not bought. I remember sitting in tree stands that was basically a 2x6 sitting board nailed between the V in a tree, with 2x4 slats to climb up to it. ?

I also remember my dad buying one of the first climbing stands. I can't even remember the model but it had V-cut bars that latched on the tree with a bolt and a wooden standing and sitting platform, with a pad.

Last edited:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I remember attracting a ton of bees and dancing around while up a tree, in a Baker, doused in that sweet green liquid called Cover-up. It's a wonder we all didn't meet our demise smelling like a bottle of vanilla extract.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
There was no greater time for me as a kid, than when fall would come near and id be able to go deer hunting with my father or his buddies. I can remember when season would start coming near '' and I mean near like july near'' my mother would have to go to the grocery, and she would let me go to the old colonial gun shop and pick out a video to rent. Think I rented them all but my favorites was anything with Noel Feather and Dan Fitzgerald in it. I would watch those videos like a crack head looking for a fix. Im still like that today at times and miss buying all those videos before season. Had many favorite hunting items as well.

Autumn Orange Easton arrows
10x trebark
7400 remington woodsmaster in 30-06
never wearing a safety belt in a tree stand cause we didnt have them or didnt know anything about them. '' stupid''
always having cold feet
shooting the first thing that came in and loving every minute of it.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
You know, I've never talked to somebody who has hunted out of a baker that hasn't almost died once or twice in one of those things. It's almost like a badge of honor or paying your dues. I remember when I was in high school the old timers used to tell me, ya'll boys got it so easy now with your safety harnesses and fancy climbing stands. We damn near risked our life every Saturday in hopes of seeing a doe".
OH the safety harnesses that first came out were not much better , strap around the waist and then to the tree,or second version harness around your chest over your shoulders but no leg harness if you fell slip rite through it,almost glad not able to get in them anymore due to so many back surgerys. but those days were fun used to camp out, meet in the woods for lunches,hang around in military mesh hammocks, just all around good fellowship.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
There was no greater time for me as a kid, than when fall would come near and id be able to go deer hunting with my father or his buddies. I can remember when season would start coming near '' and I mean near like july near'' my mother would have to go to the grocery, and she would let me go to the old colonial gun shop and pick out a video to rent. Think I rented them all but my favorites was anything with Noel Feather and Dan Fitzgerald in it. I would watch those videos like a crack head looking for a fix. Im still like that today at times and miss buying all those videos before season. Had many favorite hunting items as well.

Autumn Orange Easton arrows
10x trebark
7400 remington woodsmaster in 30-06
never wearing a safety belt in a tree stand cause we didnt have them or didnt know anything about them. '' stupid''
always having cold feet
shooting the first thing that came in and loving every minute of it.
Did you ever rent bow hunting october whitetails ,that was a great video also read the book.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
About froze to death in old duxbac hunting clothes and those old none insulated waders. Even owned a pair of old plastic type that would split when it was bad cold and you took a looong stride.... Had a many a red plaid flannel shirt missing a shirt tail as well...

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I have my Grandfather’s 1950’s red plaid Woolrich complete suit. Pants and coat. In remarkably good shape. He wore it up until he stopped hunting in the late 80’s. It will never fit me but just can’t part with it. Also have his 1940’s small game coat.

Anyone remember the wooden platform TSS climbing stands? Had one of those back in 1985. Didn’t have a climbing piece. You had a web belt with hand loops that doubled as your “unsafety” belt. Missed my first buck at 12 from that death trap!

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Never knew they had a name but that’s what I hunted in for years when younger. Got it from an old timer. I had a few painful episodes when I didn’t get the angle quite right. Usually when coming down too quick after I shot.

Hoss

Eight Pointer
Blue jeans two pair if it was cold. Brown hunting coat with game pockets. Five of us riding to Scotlandneck in a 69 Chevy truck. No cell phone, no CB always carried a shotgun and unscoped rifle. Breakfast at the Idle hour resturant. Good times!

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
The Colonial Gun Shop where the guys bought the first Knight MK85. Remember that back in the 80's....man, that thing would reach out yonder. Speaking of the Baker climber, a guy in our neighbor hood had one of them and he let me try it out, took it behind our house and attached that thing around a tree, and up I went about 30 feet. Well, I dropped the foot platform and was way down in the woods. I started yelling for all I was worth....hours up that tree. Finally my brother came looking me about dark, had to get an extension ladder to get me down, in the dark. Said I wouldn't have one of them things. Still got a Woolrich red checked wool jacket....good as new. Got a camo Woolrich Goretex coat when they first came out..can't wear them out.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Treebark camo coveralls.... I still think it’s a great pattern. When I saved up enough money and bought a 35 MM film trail cam I was amazed!

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Saf-T-bak brush pants. Wore a military surplus field jacket. Hunted squirrels mostly, deer were still scarce. My Dad and brother still wear Jones hats.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'm looking at 2 Jones hat's hanging in the shop right now. Haven't worn either of them in a couple of years but refuse to part with them. I also still have a pair of handmade deer skin gloves made for my Grandfather by his oldest brother, still in decent condition and I occasionally wear them but am very careful when I do. I have my Grandfathers Gray felt Stetson that I wear most of the time when I'm squirrel hunting, when I wear that it's almost like having him there beside me...

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was young and trying to take my first deer I didn't own a tree stand. My brother and I climbed into trees and stood on limbs - we were very lucky to survive those years. It was early 1970s when we started. Recurve bows and shotguns and very few deer back then in most of NC so it meant driving across much of the state to find hunting. This picture is me at Pungo26341 in 1976 with my first deer taken in my 5th year of hunting... finally!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
When I was young and trying to take my first deer I didn't own a tree stand. My brother and I climbed into trees and stood on limbs - we were very lucky to survive those years. It was early 1970s when we started. Recurve bows and shotguns and very few deer back then in most of NC so it meant driving across much of the state to find hunting. This picture is me at PungoView attachment 26341 in 1976 with my first deer taken in my 5th year of hunting... finally!

Had them Browning Featherweights didn't you??