Yamaha 90 4 stroke

Wood Duck Hunter

Six Pointer
Looking for a little advice. Just got a new 18' skiff with a Yamaha on it. My 5th boat but first Yamaha ever. When trailering the boat there is no lock to support the motor like on a Johnson. Trailer is not really set up for a transom saver like on my duck boat. Is there something you can buy that goes between the cylinder and the motor mounts? I know there is one for the bigger yammy's with two cylinders. How do you guys trailer your 90 with support?

coondog87

Eight Pointer
I have the same motor. I put the motor at about 45 degrees and role with it.

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Is there any way to fit a stick of lumber in there to lower the motor down on. It would take the pressure off the tilt/trim piston.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have never seen a Yamaha without the support lock honestly. I just got a new Yamaha 90 myself and the lock was on the opposite side from the one on my 60hp.

coondog87

Eight Pointer
The manual specifically said not to use the block. It may break while towing, then it will bust the trim cylinder. If the transom can't handle the pressure while towing, it could never handle the pressure of the motor pushing on it and bouncing around in the water.

Wood Duck Hunter

Six Pointer
I was told at the dealership not to use the lock, don't want to either cause it only locks with the motor all the way up. I am not so much worried about the transom as I am the wear and tear on the cylinder as the boat bounces down the road.

They make a plastic stop that you slide over the short trim cylinder and they take the pressure off of the cylinder ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427387207.429925.jpg

Proverbs 27:17

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Where can I find this about not using the lock?!?! I have a 4stroke 90 on my main electrofishing boat and I'm all the time telling grad students to STOP using it, but yet every time I get the boat out of the garage, it's sitting all the way up with the lock down!!!!

Wood Duck Hunter

Six Pointer
Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like the m-ywedge is my best option. for any one else looking at this in the future realize that the 90 HP is a single ram system as opposed to the bigger Yamahas.