Y’all watch this

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have shot at one wild quail in my life and i missed. I guess that was a good thing. good presentation.

billyf

Button Buck
great information. thx for posting. One thing that stood out to me was The speaker said that they had radio tracked 12 quail on a study farm and 6 of the quail ended up in a hawks nest....lol Im surprised no one asked more about this in the question time. That's 50% of radio tracked quail ended in hawks nest... I guess the habitat improvement is for the remaining 50%.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
great information. thx for posting. One thing that stood out to me was The speaker said that they had radio tracked 12 quail on a study farm and 6 of the quail ended up in a hawks nest....lol Im surprised no one asked more about this in the question time. That's 50% of radio tracked quail ended in hawks nest... I guess the habitat improvement is for the remaining 50%.
That was why he said he never ever recommended trees in his food plots.

billyf

Button Buck

Look at the attached. I believe the quail problem is similar to the passenger pigeon or American chestnut. I believe we are dealing with some external disease/ parasite/virus...or other. Its too extensive across all habitats to be just habitat. Its happening across both Northern climates and southern to be just temperature or weather related.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I follow rolling plains on FB and they have shown a lot on the eye worms. There are a lot of factors no doubt. My only question/concern would be what, if any research has been done in the southeast? West Tx and Oklahoma are essentially a different planet compared to the southeastern US. I know guys who go out to Tx every year quail hunting and they love it. 40+ coveys a day and pace themselves because they say you could limit out in 2 hours and be done.