Wyoming update.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
We arrived Sunday afternoon and got everything situated. Our season had actually opened the 15th, but we opted to travel the weekend instead. Sunday and Monday were spent trying to figure out exactly where we needed to be as we hadn’t hunted region R before.
We ended up finding a spectacular spot that we will be back to.... tons of bucks and few hunters. The flip side is it’s a hike and steeper than it looks and at a pretty high elevation.
We had to bug out due to a snow event coming in last night and today in the Big Horns so we are on the way back now.
Of the 4 of us I was the only one to fire a shot on a seriously misjudged deer. It’s a 4x2 but at 403 yards I swear it was bigger.... it happens I guess... the others passed bigger deer and are giving me the usual rash , but it’s all good.
Pics coming

Attachments

• 3E96C8D4-4E10-4EBE-8B8E-E7E4DB5F2786.jpeg
    3E96C8D4-4E10-4EBE-8B8E-E7E4DB5F2786.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 5B16229F-41B0-4AFD-B1DB-2426D2232604.jpeg
    5B16229F-41B0-4AFD-B1DB-2426D2232604.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 43943095-88B8-4BBF-860E-4CCFDC1FE28C.jpeg
    43943095-88B8-4BBF-860E-4CCFDC1FE28C.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 74

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Congrats Dan! We were ate up with mulies since we switched units, you find that one spot and it is just on fire with them right now it seems. Hope the other 3 can tag out before the bottom drops out temp wise in a few days.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats Dan! We were ate up with mulies since we switched units, you find that one spot and it is just on fire with them right now it seems. Hope the other 3 can tag out before the bottom drops out temp wise in a few days.

We are on the way home the snow would have kept us from being able to get to our spot today and tomorrow,,, and we have to work come Monday. :(

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
We are on the way home the snow would have kept us from being able to get to our spot today and tomorrow,,, and we have to work come Monday. :(
Man, that’s sucks. We talked to elk hunters the other night here in Lovell and they said they had to call it early because of 3-4 foot drifts up high.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Hey, that's a nice deer! Nice long shot too. Congratulations. How many points did you guys have?
Thanks,,, He’s not a dink, but by no means what I thought he was...we’ve killed much bigger every trip. But he’s wearing my tag now so I own him.

2 as a group/—half had 4, half had 0. Applied as a group and it averages. R isn’t that hard to draw tho.

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
Thanks,,, He’s not a dink, but by no means what I thought he was...we’ve killed much bigger every trip. But he’s wearing my tag now so I own him.

2 as a group/—half had 4, half had 0. Applied as a group and it averages. R isn’t that hard to draw tho.

You went, you saw, you conquered. Now get home safe. Heck no that ain't no dink.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It was a great trip, as I've said many times it ain't about the kill it's about being there. After many trips out there we finally found a place that leaves excitement in our minds to go back for muley hunting. Years ago we figured out the antelope public land hunting and have killed several trophy goats and killed a few mule deer. The deer have been okay but they haven't been easy and we just never found that "this is where we will hunt next time" place. We found it this year but the snow ran us out, just checked the weather and it's still snowing with sub zero temps this weekend.

In two mornings of hunting I saw twenty-nine deer, six of them bucks but just not quite enough age on them for shooters. Hopefully we can go back next year and four of those six bucks will be nice. Due to the weather and the season ending I'm pretty sure they all will survive and be there next year. Some advice if you're planning a western deer hunting trip; get in shape before you go, once there get out of the truck, get away from the roads, burn some shoe leather, and find the deer. Muley hunting isn't easy but it sure is fun.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
So true ZG, a lot of the locals just drive around and hardly leave the truck to glass. I’ll also add don’t try to hunt the deer where you want them to be but they aren’t. Two units I could hunt was opposite for finding mulies than y’all found. Once I figured it out we were in deer every sit albeit resident deer. I kept looking East over at the region y’all hunted and wondered what was in those hills. Might have to give R a try since it definitely has everything I want in a mulie hunt from what I saw in person and in Dan’s pics.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
It was a great trip, as I've said many times it ain't about the kill it's about being there. After many trips out there we finally found a place that leaves excitement in our minds to go back for muley hunting. Years ago we figured out the antelope public land hunting and have killed several trophy goats and killed a few mule deer. The deer have been okay but they haven't been easy and we just never found that "this is where we will hunt next time" place. We found it this year but the snow ran us out, just checked the weather and it's still snowing with sub zero temps this weekend.

In two mornings of hunting I saw twenty-nine deer, six of them bucks but just not quite enough age on them for shooters. Hopefully we can go back next year and four of those six bucks will be nice. Due to the weather and the season ending I'm pretty sure they all will survive and be there next year. Some advice if you're planning a western deer hunting trip; get in shape before you go, once there get out of the truck, get away from the roads, burn some shoe leather, and find the deer. Muley hunting isn't easy but it sure is fun.
Just send me the coordinates... a buddy and I have 8 points each now for WY mulies

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
A lot of the mule deer in WY migrate. While they may be in the same place in a similar time next year as this, there is just as good of a chance they won’t.

Nonetheless, I’d take a day out there hunting nothing over the best day hunting here.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Doing a little walking gets you away from 90% of hunters. The area we elk hunted this year had tons of roads and ATV trails. Just about everyone hunted within a 1/4 mile of a road or trail. Dad and I walked about a mile or so back and had solitude. Yes, we would see other hunters, but they were always at a distance and always close to roads or trails. So, when you go out west, burn some boot leather. Go where the ATVs and the horses can't go.

Glad y'all had a good trip.