WTB Saltwater Trolling Motor

Bailey Boat

Ten Pointer
You do realize that the only difference between a "saltwater" model and a "freshwater" model is the color and in some cases the shaft length and an anode, which you can add....

golfer

Spike
We have owned 3 Minn Kota Riptides in the past. Nice when they work, but expect issues if you have them long enough. Replaced the board and top compass housing several times apiece.

The main thing is to unplug the unit when charging the battery. If not, guaranteed issues.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You do realize that the only difference between a "saltwater" model and a "freshwater" model is the color and in some cases the shaft length and an anode, which you can add....
Not really.
There is more.
Just call Triangle Trolling motors and ask he is a great guy and will help you.

To the OP

Give Triangle Trolling motor a call. He has some used time to time and better prices than most. Also the guy that you would need if there is a problem down the road.

I was looking for a saltwater also but being I may use it 3 to 4 times a year in salt he told me to stick with the normal line and just wash it good and spray down with one of the oil sprays.
He is the one that talked about the difference in the boards along with grade of wire if I remember. But one year back there was more than color difference.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The main thing is to unplug the unit when charging the battery. If not, guaranteed issues.
Not seen anything about that but sounds like a good thing.
I have 2 power cut offs one for TM and other for main system
Always cut them off if the boat is not in the water running.
Not worth the risk to leave anything hot when not in use so mine are always cut off.
Even at the dock over night I kill everything from main switch.
Only thing is an auto pump that is direct wired on its own wire as a backup. ( for in water only)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Since I own both I don't really feel a need to call someone.... I trust my eyes...
Go for it.... Guess everything it black and white to you.
FYI even on there web site they talk about the difference.
The guy I told you about will show you so yes you can trust your eyes when and if you can understand what you are looking at. But it may be over your head.

Mechanic Bob

Six Pointer
Since I own both I don't really feel a need to call someone.... I trust my eyes...
"I trust my eyes!" That's funny and I don't care who you are, that's funny!
I have been to Johnson Controls, and there is a difference between the Riptide and the Standard models, at least for Minn Kota. (Additional sealing, tinned components, and metal treatment.)

Bailey Boat

Ten Pointer
Since I own both, and have torn both apart for maintenance and found no differences what should I believe?? My eyes or the marketing BS you 2 are spouting?? Maybe I'm blind and don't know it?? That's it....