WTB cheap deer rifle

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
My friend is getting more into hunting, he’s been using his grandfathers rifle but his wife is wanting to surprise him with his own gun for their anniversary. She’s wanting to spend 300. I’m going to cover the scope unless the right combo came knocking. Not picky, other than no Mossbergs. Anybody got anything around Haywood county?

I could get a scoped axis combo for 350 and if no one has anything that’s what I’ll do but I figured I’d see if anyone else has something on the cheap side laying around they’d part with.

Open on caliber, his grandfather’s rifle is an 06, if I were to pick for him I’d say 308 or 7-08 but he’s not going to have much preference.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Nothing for sale by me but savage axis ii is what I have in three calibers (308,7-08, 6.5). Can spend much more as you know but I have no problems tack driving and dropping a deer out to 300 yards. Have target shot further but I keep the deer shots under 300. Especially knew hunters I think it’s perfect. I’ve been hunting for about 20 years and still stick with them because they do the job. I’d also avoid 7-08 because ammo is a lot harder to find since covid but is out there.

guyo

Ten Pointer
I got a savage 308 for my grandson put a scope on it, I will say it only likes Hornady I load 178 grain . He has shot a bunch of deer with it. I put a Timney trigger on it,

Parrot

Spike
I would definitely stay away from the remington 783 if you can afford a new savage axis ii. The savage is twice the gun the remington is and thats coming from a remington fan. The savage in 308 is about the best combo for the price he won't have any problems out to 300-400 yards with the factory scope should shoot sub moa at 200 yards with 168 grain federal

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Try Walmart in Waynesville and see what they have if nothing on here comes through.

I second the 308 recommendation

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Try Walmart in Waynesville and see what they have if nothing on here comes through.

I second the 308 recommendation
Usually not a whole heck of a lot. Plan to hit a couple different places this week though to see if I can find something.

Reactions: CRC

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
My comment before I did replace the scopes. I did take one and throw it on an ar then the other on my muzzleloader so they do perform just fine if needed.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I have a Savage bolt action in 270 with walnut stock and Leupold scope.
Bought it for my wife but it turned out to be too heavy for her.
Around 15 rounds through it to sight it in and been in the safe since.
Bought the gun new.
$600.00

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I have a Savage bolt action in 270 with walnut stock and Leupold scope.
Bought it for my wife but it turned out to be too heavy for her.
Around 15 rounds through it to sight it in and been in the safe since.
Bought the gun new.
$600.00
I appreciate it. I figure I can cover some extra over their budget but I can’t swing quite that much. That’d be a prime combo for someone!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Used to be Walmarts would clearance price some of their "deer hunting" rifles after the hunting seasons were over

Only reason I suggested them

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
What’s grandfathers rifle? You can’t put the genie back in the bottle once you start having gun”s”.