wow

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Ya'll notice how most of the time it's all hens and no toms, don't see many toms in the winter deer hunting.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I'm the odd one out because I don't care for them this time of year. We get pics like that one all the time in the fall, and in the spring they pull the vanishing act. We probably have 40-50 turkeys using our lease right now, and it's hard to find one come spring.

They make a racket, scare off the deer, and eat all of the corn, then move elsewhere by the time I've got a shotgun in my hand. I usually try to run them off when bowhunting. You guys ever tried to draw on a deer with a dozen turkeys staring at you? Just about impossible.

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
I agree they are some corn stealing bastard... and they run deer off... but funniest thing is watching fox squirrels run everything away

Blades

Six Pointer
The deer and turkey like to hang out together a lot at my place. Makes hunting a hell of a lot harder when you have deer within range and turkeys staring you down.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saturday evening I was hunting and had seen a buttonhead and a decent 8 point and watched them go to a food source just out of sight. A short while later I hear a ruckus and here comes 7 mature hens. They go up and proceed to run off the deer. The 8 just left, but the button stopped 75 yards away and was throwing his head around like a racehorse. Here come the hens right to him, but he holds his ground. When the lead hen gets about 10 yards away, she takes off flying right at his head. He tore off to the next county. I wish the cold wouldn’t have killed my camera battery because it would have been great footage.

Don’t tell me they won’t scare deer. These were very intentional about it, and that’s not the first time it’s happened either. Then they proceeded to clean all of the dead branches off the trees as they went up to roost 75 yards in front of me. Needless to say, I didn’t see another deer.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i s
Saturday evening I was hunting and had seen a buttonhead and a decent 8 point and watched them go to a food source just out of sight. A short while later I hear a ruckus and here comes 7 mature hens. They go up and proceed to run off the deer. The 8 just left, but the button stopped 75 yards away and was throwing his head around like a racehorse. Here come the hens right to him, but he holds his ground. When the lead hen gets about 10 yards away, she takes off flying right at his head. He tore off to the next county. I wish the cold wouldn’t have killed my camera battery because it would have been great footage.

Don’t tell me they won’t scare deer. These were very intentional about it, and that’s not the first time it’s happened either. Then they proceeded to clean all of the dead branches off the trees as they went up to roost 75 yards in front of me. Needless to say, I didn’t see another deer.
I saw three jakes run off a sneaking coyote one day.
kinda can expect that on weenie deer but dang a predator? :)
yall fatten up those starving turkeys,. We need them healthy come spring.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I shot my 9 point buck Saturday shortly after posting about the racket a group of turkeys were making. As I type this, I got 5 turkeys scratching in the leaves at about 75 yards. Maybe they’ll bring in another buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I shot my 9 point buck Saturday shortly after posting about the racket a group of turkeys were making. As I type this, I got 5 turkeys scratching in the leaves at about 75 yards. Maybe they’ll bring in another buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep, they hear that scratching and know good vittles await. :)