Wow that was quick (Drinkwitz to Missouri)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
They all do that they can't say " I'm using this as stepping stone job " wouldn't be able recruit or get kids to play for them its just way it is except for some occasions where coaches are just happy where they are like ol bud foster

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
He hasn't stayed anywhere for longer than 2 years it seems. Not surprising at all that he would bail...other than optics and 1 solitary year of HC experience.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven’t heard what the offer is...but if the offer is right, you can’t blame them for jumping around.

Some occasions you can retire on the offer.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They all do that they can't say " I'm using this as stepping stone job " wouldn't be able recruit or get kids to play for them its just way it is except for some occasions where coaches are just happy where they are like ol bud foster
You likey have not watched his intro press conference. I am not mad that he used App as a stepping stone..I am mad that he specially said it was not and he lied again yesterday. He proved he can talk the talk but not walk the walk

May he fails dramatically. The boys he lied to have a game to get ready for..would not want to be UAB in a couple weeks

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You likey have not watched his intro press conference. I am not mad that he used App as a stepping stone..I am mad that he specially said it was not and he lied again yesterday. He proved he can talk the talk but not walk the walk

May he fails dramatically. The boys he lied to have a game to get ready for..would not want to be UAB in a couple weeks
Him and hundred more over the years. I heard it from a many of them even the big boys like Saban have done same just another day in college ball. They have solid program should be able replace with decent guy at least I hope so

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This coaching carousel is going to hurt recruiting. Kids need stability and so do their parents.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Him and hundred more over the years. I heard it from a many of them even the big boys like Saban have done same just another day in college ball. They have solid program should be able replace with decent guy at least I hope so
Oh don't get me wrong, I know the game but this one is particularly egregious..again go listen to that presser. Not worried about getting a new coach, am worried about recruiting.
Players tweeting, I ain't worried about nothin short term.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Not saying he wouldn’t have been a great coach in the long term, but Drink was a band aid anyway. They just wanted someone to run Satterfield’s offense with Satterfield’s players and he did to damn near perfection.

App doesn’t need to screw this next search up. Go find an App guy who will give you time. Drink had no allegiances whatsoever.

Anything short of going after Ledford would be a failure. The guy’s from NC, has ties to App and is in perfect succession for a G5 job. Oh and he’s the OC for Satterfield’s offense at Louisville.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Not saying he wouldn’t have been a great coach in the long term, but Drink was a band aid anyway. They just wanted someone to run Satterfield’s offense with Satterfield’s players and he did to damn near perfection.

App doesn’t need to screw this next search up. Go find an App guy who will give you time. Drink had no allegiances whatsoever.

Anything short of going after Ledford would be a failure. The guy’s from NC, has ties to App and is in perfect succession for a G5 job. Oh and he’s the OC for Satterfield’s offense at Louisville.

Don’t believe he will take it or even pursue it.

He might be the OC on the sheet of paper at Louisville but he never called the plays. Starter field called all the plays. Just used the title to be able to pay Led more money.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I feel better since that is your take .. crc

Fact is we have had 3 coaches since I started school there in 89. I do not expect that kind of stability over the next 25 but do expect somebody in the family to come home and stay a while like Sat did.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Drink has played this to perfection.

From a middle school head coach to an SEC head coach in 15 years.

Also, DD's coaching treewith his first P5 coach!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
App will be a perennial stepping stone to power 5 jobs

Get used to it.

That's a much better position to be in versus the other option of having to fire your coaches....(like ECU) App will be a desirable job to many since the team is game ready... App will be fine unless they hire a coach Mo clone.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I feel better since that is your take .. crc

Fact is we have had 3 coaches since I started school there in 89. I do not expect that kind of stability over the next 25 but do expect somebody in the family to come home and stay a while like Sat did.

Then pay him.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Then pay him.
Unfortunately that is what lot smaller schools just have to deal with big conferences desperate for next best thing will pay good money buy him out then do it again. Small schools just can't compete with that all more reason i find some these schools like Boise impressive. If coaches could be content like ol bud foster would be nice see he finally retiring

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t believe he will take it or even pursue it.

He might be the OC on the sheet of paper at Louisville but he never called the plays. Starter field called all the plays. Just used the title to be able to pay Led more money.

If he's a candidate, he'll pursue it and why not, it's one of the best G5 jobs in the country, he's from a half hour down the road, and it's just natural that succession for him to go from coordinator to HC. I agree on him not calling plays but Satt made him OC for a reason, likely because he knew this opportunity would present itself. Not only that but he was also an associate head coach at NCSU.

I see no way that he doesn't get a look, especially after the year Lousiville just had.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Just saw where the Mizzou paper is reporting $4m a year. Insane payout for an unproven head coach. Say what you will but one year coaching behind a guy like Satterfield does not prove your abilities as a HC.

We'll see how this goes for Mizzou.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yep he's getting 4 million to be the new coach in Columbia

Mizzou is also paying 1.7 mil to buy his contract out at ASU and 2.4 mil pay the fired coach.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just saw where the Mizzou paper is reporting $4m a year. Insane payout for an unproven head coach. Say what you will but one year coaching behind a guy like Satterfield does not prove your abilities as a HC.

We'll see how this goes for Mizzou.

“Unproven head coach”????

Heck, name another FBS NC Coached team that........well...

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You win 12 games, beat 2 P5 teams, win your conference... and still play in the New Orleans Bowl. Right now that is about as good as it is gonna get as the HC at App St. unfortunately. Then an SEC team comes knocking with a salary that is 5x what you currently make. App state's bigger problem than 3 coaches in 3 years is how they are maxed out their potential where they are and don't really have anywhere else to go.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
$750,000 per year plus incentives at App. How much will he make next year?
Much much more no way app can compete financially. But its not even just the money most these coaches have big dreams and to reach them they gotta climb the ladder. Few of them turn into Saban or Dabo types but most stay on mediocre level

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
“Unproven head coach”????

Heck, name another FBS NC Coached team that........well...
Yes, unproven. He was coaching players developed by the guy who just won ACC coach of the year. Didn’t have one starter that he recruited, 18 out of his starting 22 were upperclassmen and even used Satterfield’s OC as his associate head coach. He was plug and play from the start. Good for him for getting a payday but he is as unproven a P5 coach that you’ll find and I don’t think that’s a scandalous claim.

Last edited: