Wounded a big ole buck this eve…

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
With my truck on way home from hunting🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Biggest buck for this area of Kannapolis that I’ve ever seen … I swerved hard enough that he ran into the side of truck.. busted quarter panel and creased passenger side door.

deer was no where to be found

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It happens, hit em all! Just drive carefully around my farms;)

PSA though…don’t swerve. The deer is by far the softest thing you can hit. You wouldn’t believe the stuff people tear up over trying to miss a deer! (And the deer hit is a comp claim, everything else is collision;))

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

PSA though…don’t swerve. The deer is by far the softest thing you can hit. You wouldn’t believe the stuff people tear up over trying to miss a deer! (And the deer hit is a comp claim, everything else is collision;))
Very true… I will never forget (although I didn’t abide) when I turned 16 and got my license the insurance lady sat me down and gave me a lecture to not swerve trying to miss animals (even pets) because lots of bad things happen… even teenage drivers getting killed

HarryNC

Eight Pointer

Yep. My nephew rolled his dad's Suburban over several times after swerving to avoid a deer. I always told my kids that if a deer (or any other animal) runs in front of you to brake hard to minimize the impact, but keep your vehicle going straight, under control.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They've been crossing roads like it's their first time this past week for some reason.

Thursday a doe and fawn decided to trot across in front of me. Thankfully, I saw them coming and slammed on the breaks. I came only a few feet from hitting them, and they never broke their lazy stride.

Saturday evening a small doe decided to try to dart across while pulling the boat. Thankfully, it turned back because it was getting ready to run into the side of the truck or the boat. Neither one would have been good. I don't know what their problem is recently...

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
^ What the guys said. I told my boys and all the kids I work with to brake as hard as they have to but DO NOT SWERVE.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I fixed 18k worth of damage to a Super Duty a few years back, after a lady swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree. IN HER DRIVEWAY…to be fair she was pulling a 30ft gooseneck, but still😳

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had a momma and 2 fawns cross in front of me this weekend.... fawns reminded me of squirrels, they couldn't make a decision on which way they wanted to go...

On a side note my wife always gets mad riding with me because I'm always looking for deer, she tells me she doesn't know why I'm always looking for big deer in fields I can't hunt anyway.... fair point I suppose 🤣

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
You too, huh? I bet a lot of us do this ... and have wives that are annoyed by it. :D LOL
My wife used to be annoyed with it, until I saw a buck hauling ass across a field, and I just knew it was going to jump the fence in front of the car in front of us.

I let off the accelerator and she wondered while I was slowing down, giving me grief because she likes to get wherever were going without stops or delays.

I said, "Car in front of us is going to hit a deer. I don't want to be close."

Then car hits deer, swerves all over, hits car next to it and parts go everywhere I did have to do a little fancy driving to miss flying road debris, causing some pucker moments inside our car, but made it around ok.

As we drive around slowly off the shoulder, noting that everyone is ok, and deer is dead, I looked over and said, "And THAT is why I look for deer."

Narry a word since.