Would you support a "traditional" only muzzleloading season?

Would you support a special "traditional" only mz season?

• Yes

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I didn’t know Toby Knight invented the in line muzzleloader

He didn't there was actually an inline flintlock made before 1800...Toby Knight simply designed a gun for all those that didn't want to put in the time and effort to learn how to properly care for and learn to use a traditional styled gun that our forefathers used to settle this Country...Muzzleloading season came in for most states because of the lobbying efforts of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association...In the 1970s, there were many celebrations planned for our Country's 200th Anniversary in 1976...Many States passed special seasons for these traditions guns...

After a few decades, it became pretty clear that most hunters didn't care about the history of these weapons nor how to use them, so there was really no need to keep the seasons as they were...

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I didn’t know Toby Knight invented the in line muzzleloader

Very true, Toby Knight didn't invent anything...
Tony Knight designed a more modern inline muzzleloader.
Toby Bridges was the main mouthpiece for Knight brand muzzleloaders until he blew a few up. ?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Very true, Toby Knight didn't invent anything...
Tony Knight designed a more modern inline muzzleloader.
Toby Bridges was the main mouthpiece for Knight brand muzzleloaders until he blew a few up. ?

And if you go back before inlines, Toby Bridges wrote articles on how effective traditional muzzleloaders could be...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had a beer so please take this with a grain of salt.
Rifles should be banned on game land..
is this a muzzle loading topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well i would have to buy one- expense
"I knocked him down but he got away before i could load"- drama
"I dont know what happened but it misfired" _unrealiabilty

when we started in nc (ML season) all we had were "traditional" MLs.
I remember them well and have no desire to go back.
I dont think though that presently anyone is prohibited from using them if they wish?

that's too bad,,,

got to buy any weapon you use,,,,trad rifles are no more expensive that "in-lines"
"got away before I could load",,,,drama? or lack of skill?
"misfired" - mine have been reliable,,,,guess it's in the powder (none of that fake stuff) and load methods,,,

just say you "don't like them" but your posting things that are not sole issues with trad gear,,all weapons cost,,all single shots are slower than repeaters,,,and misfired? come on,,,trads are just as reliable as in-lines (maybe not a flintlock in a downpour but then I just skip hunting in those conditions)

-------------

now to get it away from personal prejudices and back to the the original question

no, I don't give a hoot about a separate season,,,I've been using "traditional" rifles since 1974 and will continue till the day I die,,,got some of the purtiest flintlocks a man can own and love hunting with them,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
that's too bad,,,

got to buy any weapon you use,,,,trad rifles are no more expensive that "in-lines"
"got away before I could load",,,,drama? or lack of skill?
"misfired" - mine have been reliable,,,,guess it's in the powder (none of that fake stuff) and load methods,,,

just say you "don't like them" but your posting things that are not sole issues with trad gear,,all weapons cost,,all single shots are slower than repeaters,,,and misfired? come on,,,trads are just as reliable as in-lines (maybe not a flintlock in a downpour but then I just skip hunting in those conditions)

-------------

now to get it away from personal prejudices and back to the the original question

no, I don't give a hoot about a separate season,,,I've been using "traditional" rifles since 1974 and will continue till the day I die,,,got some of the purtiest flintlocks a man can own and love hunting with them,,,,,
not sure why all those incidents occurred, thankfully I dodged those.
I shoot the oldest of the in lines, it's fine for me: but it's as "traditional" as I want to shoot.
But again ML horror stories abound, not a myth to those that went thru it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
But again ML horror stories abound,

only times I have had issues is when I played with using the "new" non-blackpowder powders (pyrodex and such),,,,never an issue with GOEX if I do my part

but yes, that is what many believe but my truth is not that

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
it's a matter of time on Jordan probably falls as well.
safety for the immigrants that live on the edge of the GLs.

Some parts have gone to archery only. Allowing muzzleloaders only won't help because a bullet from my modern inline will travel a significant distance past any deer I would miss.

A better option would be to put in a height restriction like Wake County. Put in a minimum of 8' like Wake or even higher at 12'. With a 150 yard setback from any structure like in the regulations now combined with a height restriction, a bullet should never even get close to any residence.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Some parts have gone to archery only. Allowing muzzleloaders only won't help because a bullet from my modern inline will travel a significant distance past any deer I would miss.

A better option would be to put in a height restriction like Wake County. Put in a minimum of 8' like Wake or even higher at 12'. With a 150 yard setback from any structure like in the regulations now combined with a height restriction, a bullet should never even get close to any residence.
you are being far too logical
the residents do nor want hunters in their backyard.
they are more powerful politically than the hunters.
they will win.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
WV just started doing this, it’s about 2 weeks after all other deer seasons close if I remember correctly. Caplock and flintlock allowed, and traditional archery (longbow & recurve) are also allowed. I know very few who own these weapons and even fewer that are proficient and/or hunt with them so it doesn’t seem to have brought the overall harvest up much. I don’t really have a problem with it, but also don’t see why it’s necessary since you can already hunt with a muzzleloader longer than a rifle, and can use trad archery equipment for 3+ months already.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The same reason all states except South Carolina continue and expand muzzl;eloading and archery seasons to begin with- money.

Many states including WV sell archery and muzzleloader permits/licenses.

And companies and stores get to sell more weapons/guns/bows to hunters.

Archery and muzzleloading/blackpowder deer seasons are no longer about biology but money.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Now that you sobered up, why should rifles be banned on game land?

Over half the hunting population that is super inexperienced hunt on game lands with rifles. On two occasions one squirrel hunting and the second duck hunting a bullet has gone wizzing by. Had one guy put his scope on us to see what was coming down the logging road. I about climbed his tree to help him think about his mistake.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
No

and "misfires" are from poor training IME.
I was blessed to shoot tens of thousands of rounds competitively and hunting, from '68-'82 and never had a misfire, thanks to Dads teachings.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Over half the hunting population that is super inexperienced hunt on game lands with rifles. On two occasions one squirrel hunting and the second duck hunting a bullet has gone wizzing by. Had one guy put his scope on us to see what was coming down the logging road. I about climbed his tree to help him think about his mistake.

There needs to be better education, not additional laws, to help prevent everything you mentioned. Also the data doesn't support your suggestion.

NC WRC report of hunting related incidents and deaths for 2015-2016 season.
http://digital.ncdcr.gov/cdm/fullbr...2coll9/id/323403/rv/compoundobject/cpd/143077

On page 26 of the document, there were 19 non-fatal incidents on private land and 1 on public land. For fatalities, there were 3 on private land and zero on public land.

If you look at the bottom of the page for the link I provided above, you can find the reports for earlier years as well. Going back one year earlier to 2014-2015 season, there were 17 private and 4 public non-fatal incidents and 4 private and zero public fatal incidents. In 2013-2014, there were 29 private and 5 public non-fatal incidents and 2 public and zero public fatal incidents.

Just looking at 3 years of data, far more non-fatal incidents occur on private land and zero fatal incidents occur on public land. I'm even ignoring the part of the reports that show what weapon is involved and shotguns lead the results each year.

It looks pretty safe on public lands. If you want a ban on rifles, maybe it should be on private land, not public land.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Not sure where you got your numbers but you can bet there are way more hunters that hunt private and more hunting related accidents occur on private as well. If you'll look up the stats you'll see public isn't the death trap it has the reputation for.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure where you got your numbers but you can bet there are way more hunters that hunt private and more hunting related accidents occur on private as well. If you'll look up the stats you'll see public isn't the death trap it has the reputation for.

Other bits of data in the reports show that more hunting incidents are caused by people that did not take a hunter safety course and that more were caused by hunters over age 60 than the other groups. Seems to me that the over age 60 should be "experienced" hunters.

He setting us up for a poll. I can read it now " does anyone support a traditional archery only season"
I really dont care what legal weapon anybody uses to hunt. What ever floats your boat. That being said I hear archery and muzzleloader guys saying we like that it is more challenging using these weapons. So why do you need a special season? Wouldn't it be in fact more challenging to hunt pressured deer when everyone is in the woods. Just curious to the logic behind special seasons. Use whatever you want just hunt!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
For this to happen first we need another poll.

Would you support a "traditional" only muzzleloading season?

please have a poll that defines traditional muzzleloading.

Also have a other poll to see if NCWRC needs to go into more depth and define what a traditional muzzleloader is and how it is used along with if it can be a rifled barrel, smoothbore or if a rifled barrel could or couldn't shoot shotgun pellets, lead bullets, round balls, and what it could be used to shoot in what season it could be used.

Also make sure the rule that about the shooting height for stands only applied for muzzleloader shooting a rifled barrel and not smoothbore shooting lead round balls........

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Nope, maybe if they allowed bow hunting too. I hate ML and only mess with it due to timing of season. If you want to play Davie Crockett during the current season have at it but we don’t need another season.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Born on a mountain top in Tennessee.... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 11