Would you support a "traditional" only muzzleloading season?

Would you support a special "traditional" only mz season?

• Yes

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Iron sights, caplock, matchlock or flintlock only?

Lets see if folks are willing to go "primitve" or they spent too much on their inlines.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
CRC you just recently stated that the WRC wanted to abolish black power season and you had no problem with that. Now this, what's up running out of subject matter?

Because the WRC won’t get rid of special seasons can we at least go back to the original intent and technology?

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’d rather just have an any legal weapon season but that’s not happening.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
NOPE. The only reason I bought an in-line ML at all is because they put ML during the best time (around my place) to kill a buck. If I can use my bow during "pure" ML only season, that would take some of the sting out of it. But if some folks want to restrict hunting further, they have the liberty to restrict it for yourself -- just leave me alone.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't be able to shoot iron sights but I would be fine adding a traditional only week or weekend to the current season.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Leave it alone, shoot what you want, it's your property, your tag...

Now, nobody loves traditional more than me, I bought my first flintlock in 1977, killed my first deer with it in Gates County in 1978...Built a .54 in 1988...Every year I still use a flintlock a few time, usually kill a deer or two with it, often during the regular gun season..

The reason for the original muzzleloading season was in 1976 we were celebrating our Nation's 200th Anniversary...Many of us caught the fever from Fess Parker in Davy Crockett and later Daniel Boone...The NMLRA had members push for a traditional muzzleloader season, it's purpose was for those that wanted to learn the art of shooting muzzleloaders to be able to hunt with them...Years later Toby Knight decided to make a gun that anyone could use, kinda like using a release, drop away rest, carbon arrows, etc on today's bows...Most hunters today could give a flip about history or using traditional equipment, it's time has passed...Those of us that still continue to use them can do so at our leisure...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NOPE. The only reason I bought an in-line ML at all is because they put ML during the best time (around my place) to kill a buck. If I can use my bow during "pure" ML only season, that would take some of the sting out of it. But if some folks want to restrict hunting further, they have the liberty to restrict it for yourself -- just leave me alone.

I’d think an any legal weapons season would solve that problem best

Let people hunt with whatever they want on their property

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes and no.

They banned cartridge guns made in or before 1898 this coming blackpowder season.

A few years ago they did legalize muzzleloading and cylinder loading handguns that cannot use fixed cartridges

It’s no longer a muzzleloading only season actually.

Last edited:

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Poll won't open for me for some reason. I vote NO. Let those who hunt during that season us whatever muzzle loading gun they want. My muzzle loader is a side hammer percussion cap with iron sights because that's what I choose. Come gun season you find me out there with one of my ARs or lever actions.

CD

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
no- for selfish personal reasons. i dont want the mess, unreliability, expense, and drama of real muzzleloaders.
but as long as they let archery tackle stay legal during all seasons i wouldnt really care. just as long as i can hunt during the best time for the central season.
at one time archery equipment was off limits during ML season. dont want that again for sure.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
that's a myth right there,,,,
well i would have to buy one- expense
"I knocked him down but he got away before i could load"- drama
"I dont know what happened but it misfired" _unrealiabilty

when we started in nc (ML season) all we had were "traditional" MLs.
I remember them well and have no desire to go back.
I dont think though that presently anyone is prohibited from using them if they wish?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I don't have a major problem with a traditional muzzleloading season as long as they have a traditional archery season. Get rid of the in-lines and the compound bows at the same time. Fair is fair. ;)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would littetally fall over in shock if they did away with in line. If I was betting man is say 80 plus percent use them now. Could possibly see adding traditional season but not doing away with in line of course it would cut down on competetion lot people just aren't going to go to extra trouble