Would you support a "primitive" mzl & archery season for deer running for a few days after close of gun deer season?

Would you support a short "primitive" muzzleloading deer season in January?

• Yes

Votes: 51 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • It would conflict with small game/non game hunting

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Just saw this thread been busy. In nc I don't know if it's going to make a difference from a management standpoint most of the state has already had two months of firearms seasons or more. There's no holidays after jan first for a spell so other than another weekend for hunters to take advantage of most hunters have done shot everything they want by then. Wouldn't make a difference to me because where I hunt the best days for deer activity are long past and I don't have any shortage of time to hunt what's already allowed. Back in the 90s the deer population here in south central nc more specifically cabarrus, Stanley, Rowan was the highest it ever got. The changes to maximum season,opening days on Saturdays and an additional week of muzzle loader all geared to increased harvests and hunt opportunity came right before and about the time coyote population increased here. Now the deer numbers have been steadily decreasing so for my area it would suit me to start limiting harvest to some extent. The change to two bucks limit was designed to have most hunters shooting one buck and never filling the second tag waiting on that trophy buck but on private land in this area a percentage of locals don't report all the deer they kill anyway

Aaron871

Four Pointer
…… but on private land in this area a percentage of locals don't report all the deer they kill anyway….
Ain’t that the truth….. it’s rampant everywhere up here…. It’s to the point, there’s no point in adjusting regulations.

And….. the wanton waste…. There’s a lot of guys up here to cut the back straps out of them and throw the rest of the deer over the hill, it’s sad.

But, I would definitely be in favor of a Flintlock only season.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I'd be O.K. with it, but see it as being pointless in the Western counties. Who wants to hunt with PRIMATIVE weapons after the deer have already been shot at all season with modern weapons and been dogged by rouge bearhounds?

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Why? Our 3 month season not long enough? You can handicap yourself for all rifle season if you choose. Just have more bucks that have dropped horns shot and small bucks shot with people justifying the kill cause it was primitive.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Flintlock shooting round ball only, with cloth patch and bearfat, no riflings. Must wear moccasins, buckskins, and coonskin cap; or loincloth and headress while hunting. Only mud and charcoal camo allowed. Personal hygiene would be optional

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Flintlock shooting round ball only, with cloth patch and bearfat, no riflings. Must wear moccasins, buckskins, and coonskin cap; or loincloth and headress while hunting. Only mud and charcoal camo allowed. Personal hygiene would be optional
Do we have to make our own powder??

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flintlocks w iron sights and recurve bows only! 7-day season, 1 hunters choice tag.
Instead of recurve (Bow I got my first deer with) it should be longbows or atlatl. Instead of flintlock (Which I already hunt with) how about we have a matchlock season?

Last edited:

Barpit76

Spike
Instead of recurve (Bow I got my deer with) it should be longbows or atlatl. Instead of flintlock (Which I already hunt with) how about we have a matchlock season?
Why the atlatl? Just chuck the spear by hand only!