Would you support a "primitive" mzl & archery season for deer running for a few days after close of gun deer season?

Would you support a short "primitive" muzzleloading deer season in January?

• Yes

Votes: 51 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • It would conflict with small game/non game hunting

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Basically after January 1st. Percussion and flint ignition guns only with no electronic sights or scopes. Long bows and recurve bows too.

2-5 days long max.

Something like this:

Primitive Hunt Days: Hunters may use long bows, recurve bows, flintlock, or percussion muzzleloaders during these days. The use of telescopic or modern optics is prohibited.

Last edited:

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
Growing up in WV and OH taught me one thing...always be envious of that PA Flintlock season. I personally believe that if the deer pop can handle that extra couple weeks then we should have it. It gets people interested in the old school weapons, where they came from, and ultimately more American history as well as just getting people out in the woods. But I'd understand that if it did happen, some counties, including mine, probably just wouldn't do it. But because my deer pop isn't the best doesn't mean we can't let others enjoy it.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn't everyone except the Western Season already get 2-3 months to do that?
Are you proposing this for the Western Season?

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m not really opposed to it, I just don’t see the point here. There’s already 3 entire months to use a muzzleloader. WV started a similar season last year, but they only get a couple weeks of rifle and a week for ML regularly.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not really opposed to it, I just don’t see the point here. There’s already 3 entire months to use a muzzleloader. WV started a similar season last year, but they only get a couple weeks of rifle and a week for ML regularly.

WV's season is only like 3 days long.

WV also has a gun antlerless season that takes up 2 weeks

Which is longer than the seasons in western NC

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I support a open sight 30-30 only season in mid Jan for 3 days where you can only shoot does, sows with cubs and hen turkeys
Holy :donk:donk:donk:donk I just spit my drink out. Don’t forget red tails and Cooper’s hawks but high dollar optics are REQUIRED. Oh wait your comment was a joke about stuff that you WOULDNT be interested in. My bad

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I’m not sure how I feel about it in general. I am not sure. I wish they would make some bow only counties or start the season a month later or both or shoot. I’m not sure what would help some of these mountain counties. I see more rut sign December and January around here. I’m not a biologist though. I have not cast my vote yet either

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not sure how I feel about it in general. I am not sure. I wish they would make some bow only counties or start the season a month later or both or shoot. I’m not sure what would help some of these mountain counties. I see more rut sign December and January around here. I’m not a biologist though. I have not cast my vote yet either
West hunters have asked forever for some type later season due to late rut activity best got was the extended buck only archery

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
West hunters have asked forever for some type later season due to late rut activity best got was the extended buck only archery
I’ll take it lol. Ah it is what it is. I told dad today. I would love for them to stick some deer from out of here in Haywood county and make it bow only 1 buck one doe for 5 years. It would help but like I said I’m not a biologist

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll take it lol. Ah it is what it is. I told dad today. I would love for them to stick some deer from out of here in Haywood county and make it bow only 1 buck one down for 5 years. It would help but like I said I’m not a biologist

Snow hunting on the Pisgah in January :)

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I do have a percussion cap musket but I’m not sure I would hunt with it. Honestly I’m a big fan of no doe day after November. I think it helps our doe recruitment. I would be in favor of taking away haywoods doe day on the south end of the county.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I do have a percussion cap musket but I’m not sure I would hunt with it. Honestly I’m a big fan of no doe day after November. I think it helps our doe recruitment. I would be in favor of taking away haywoods doe day on the south end of the county.

You're going to be disappointed by what the WRC is proposing next season then. More doe days for Haywood County