Would you let him walk?

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
that is a tough one…

I’m not picky, with both buck tags, he is taking a ride. Depends on what else is around with only 1.

Looks mature to me and sometimes those bucks can be bullies and push off bigger bucks with that dagger…

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
That one is a toughie because I look for unique racks. That said I let a funky 10 walk for three years. More so I enjoyed seeing him, I think he was shot late last season because I’ve not seen him.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
That one I shot this year that looked like that the landowner had on camera for a few years previous, I was tickled with him. Which I like unique racks as well. Just give me mature and I’ll give him a truck ride.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like a deer that got injured the year before. Personally, id probably want to let him go. Doesnt bother me if he gets shot either. He doesn’t strike me as a very old deer. Looks fairly mature….but not on the old end of the spectrum.

I watched a pretty decent buck yesterday. Im just not much on shooting them all anymore.

Ive discovered that I really only see a good buck about once every 5 years. Yesterday was a decent one, but I dont think he is that one.

Edit to add it has nothing to do with tags. If i dont have any, then I dont shoot. Decision for me to shoot or not really has nothing to do with 1 or 2 tags.

Last edited:

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ive got one like that too. It was a funky 2.5 last year but this year one side is normal and other side is a spike. I’m gonna let him walk if I see him.

That one looks at least 4.5 to me.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mature - I'd guess him at 4 1/2, and an interesting rack.... I'd hunt him and if I got him I'd be happy to punch my tag. I had a similar buck on camera for a couple of years and hoped to get him- never saw him until well after season went out when a neighbor found his skull in the woods near a road- maybe shot and lost, maybe car hit.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Negative, when I see him, if I see him, he will come home with me if I can shoot straight, regardless of how many tags I have in my pocket.. if that is all the horns for me then I would have had a good season.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
we let one walk with that basic configuration 1x5 for two seasons.
He was big this year but once again 1x5. almost a two x five- sloight bump on teh blade.
he got shot but i didnt shoot him. I dont think i would have but then again I did not see him this year in person just trail cams.
His age and size may have been impressive enough in person to earn him a ride. 🤷‍♂️

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna give this one a pass and see what happens, I would yours as well… only two buck tags saves another one

Attachments

• D30D4E22-DC45-40D4-B211-99605F10662C.jpeg
    D30D4E22-DC45-40D4-B211-99605F10662C.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 42

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some of y’all must not like eat deer as much as I do…haha
Done killed so many that I don't care like I use to. I was spoiled at a young age hunting in Northampton County at its peak back in the early 1990s. I can remember hunting here in Harnett in 1999 16 times in a stand before seeing a small 4 ptr that I took on Dec. 20. I would hunt 5 or 6 weekends in Northampton and tag out and get a nice buck.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Done killed so many that I don't care like I use to. I was spoiled at a young age hunting in Northampton County at its peak back in the early 1990s. I can remember hunting here in Harnett in 1999 16 times in a stand before seeing a small 4 ptr that I took on Dec. 20. I would hunt 5 or 6 weekends in Northampton and tag out and get a nice buck.

I dont think i killed my first deer in Harnett until maybe 2004. Dont remember which one it was. Seems like there was a sweet spot around 2010-2012. Seems like the coyotes started moving in around that time and they are getting a little sparser. Less woods. More fields and houses. Coyotes have gotten THICK now.

Reactions: jug

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Id shoot him in a heartbeat. Said that when I saw the first pics of him. I’m not in the business of letting 5.5+ deer walk. That IS what my buck tags are for😂

Those pics were taken Oct 7 if memory serves. Anybody that thinks he’s young…has bumped their head😎

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
No!! Unless it's a spike, a fork horn, or a button buck, if it's brown is down. Just shoot the damn deer!!!
Piss on that. After Pandora’s box being opened yesterday, I’ll gladly kill the first 3 you mentioned too.

It’s an accurate statement on my part but really I’d just like to receive one of them drunk emojis you’re serving up like hot cakes

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Piss on that. After Pandora’s box being opened yesterday, I’ll gladly kill the first 3 you mentioned too.

It’s an accurate statement on my part but really I’d just like to receive one of them drunk emojis you’re serving up like hot cakes

I still think you used someone else’s picture and claimed it as your own. Got to hand it to you though… at least you didn’t try to pass off a Booner as your own.