Would someone confirm or answer this????

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I have read the boating book. Me and my son are going flounder sticking this weekend. I have a kayak and he is going to be using a jon boat with paddles only. If I read correctly in the reg book we only have to have a white light that can be seen 360 degrees, not the nav green/red. Can anyone offer any clarity because that book can be wordy.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Excerpt from NCWRC Vessel Operating Guide (https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Boating/documents/VOG.pdf)

NAVIGATION LIGHTS Vessels operating at night are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise.

EXCEPTIONS: 1. Row or Paddle Boat and Small Sailboats: A vessel under oars, and sailboats less than 7 meters (23 feet) in length may display those lights prescribed for a sailing vessel, but if they do not, they shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern shining a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. 2. Vessels of 10 Horsepower or Less: On waters of the State not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, vessels propelled by machinery of 10 horse - power or less, in lieu of the foregoing require ments, may carry from one-half hour after sunset to one-half before sunrise a white light in the stern or have on board a hand flashlight in good working con dition which shall be ready at hand and shall be tem porarily displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision. On waters of the State that are subject to the jurisdic tion of the United States, this exception, though permissible under State law, is not sanctioned by any Federal law or regulation.

gr_andrews

Button Buck
Contributor
Excerpt from NCWRC Vessel Operating Guide (https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Boating/documents/VOG.pdf)

NAVIGATION LIGHTS Vessels operating at night are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise.

EXCEPTIONS: 1. Row or Paddle Boat and Small Sailboats: A vessel under oars, and sailboats less than 7 meters (23 feet) in length may display those lights prescribed for a sailing vessel, but if they do not, they shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern shining a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. 2. Vessels of 10 Horsepower or Less: On waters of the State not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, vessels propelled by machinery of 10 horse - power or less, in lieu of the foregoing require ments, may carry from one-half hour after sunset to one-half before sunrise a white light in the stern or have on board a hand flashlight in good working con dition which shall be ready at hand and shall be tem porarily displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision. On waters of the State that are subject to the jurisdic tion of the United States, this exception, though permissible under State law, is not sanctioned by any Federal law or regulation.

Reading that even just a headlamp would be acceptable to prevent collisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark

Ten Pointer
Yep, a headlight should be 'legal' but may not be enough... I use a Gheenoe with a 4 hp and have a 32 pt white light on a pole in addition to headlamp. I want a light on all the time so people will see me!!

Last edited:

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
You can find good safety led 360 lights battery operated on amazon fairly cheap. Some can be seen from a few miles away. They would work great for kayaks. I keep one in my boat as a back up during duck season. It never fails to amaze me how many kayaks I see with out lights in front of the fishing center at night.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
if 10 hp or less all you need is a light to shine on an approaching vessel. it does not have to be on all the time.

In Virginia your white light HAS to be on when it is dark , even if you are sitting on a deserted river.