Worst season ever

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I didn't get to hunt as much as I'd like this year, but I wasn't really amp'd about season after all the ground I covered in deer and small game seasons and not finding nearly as many birds or sign as years past.
And these are BIG areas in the mountains that don't have crazy pressure.

I got lucky and called an afternoon bird in on opening day up on a NW gameland.
We really on a walkabout to find deer sign from the fall. Hadn't seen ANY sign fresher than a month old, and it was super windy and hot.
2 miles from the car, I stopped to take a leak. Wind laid for a second and I heard scratching in the woods. Called twice and he rolled out in the logging road full strut and ended up killing him at 4 steps. Double beard 10-1/2" and 4-1/2".

2nd day of season called up my buddy's first bird ever. Another double beard. But that was in Rockingham Co. Think I heard 13 different birds that morning.

Other than those 2 hunts and my buddy that froze on a bird at Shocco Creek, it's been super slow and birds havent wanted to work.

Walked 8 miles in Pisgah on Sat, covered 3 different mountains in 2 counties and never heard a bird all day. Only called in 1 hen (and a 200# bear)
These are places where you can normally holler at daylight and have your pick of 5+ birds, even later in season...

And I'd have to agree with the guys on here talking about Caswell. I walked 14 miles total on Caswell gameland one weekend in Feb. during the permit hog hunt and never bumped a bird, or even saw any sign... Couldn't believe it...

Twitmore

Four Pointer
South mountains gl has sucked to, i've been every Saturday before sunrise and have heard only one gobble. i've seen a few hens and haven't heard any shots. In years past i would hear tons of gobbles and tons of shooting, i did see a bear which was cool.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I agree that turkeys move around from farm to farm but what we are seeing isn’t that. Turkeys have disappeared in areas of twenty square miles, that isn’t natural movement that’s no birds. Those familiar with Caswell will attest to this; from 119 to 86 to 158 encompasses the entire south and southwest part of the county. This entire area is almost void of turkeys. Five or so years ago you could see flocks everywhere now it’s rare to see a bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I found a turkey nest that had been raided- 12 eggs carried here and there and broken/eatten. Looked like the work of raccoons.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen less and heard less, but I've hunted less. Saw my first 2 Jake's while hunting last week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
ZG called it. Many years ago. I have been terrified of it spreading since then.

We've had numerous gobblers at our lease this year. FEW hunters have seen a single jake.

We're pretty scared up there. The overall state numbers do NOT tell the tale!

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
Bingo,,you hit one of our biggest issues.. Predation,,. I have been trapping areas I hunt and it has paid off. Ive only been 1 morning and not heard multiple birds on the ground I hunt. Yotes,skunks,coons,possums are true nest and poult killers. If your not trapping or killing the turkey predators,,your not doing enough to help your hunting. I think thats why some of the GLs are getting worse. Set some traps and kill the vermins and your birds will fair much better. JMPO.. Its working on my grounds.
I found a turkey nest that had been raided- 12 eggs carried here and there and broken/eatten. Looked like the work of raccoons.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Took a hike on a 200 acre piece that we always kill birds on but had not seen one on it this year..... new 3 acre beaver pond..... birds just using the farms behind us for the most part..... usually they work between both farms but the water/ beavers chgd that. Overall our birds are where they usually are- they were 10 days later than normal.... less hunting this year by the members. I developed a cough about 4 days ago and cannot shake it.... hoping it clears enough to hit it last few days

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Its funny because i have had one of the best years ever. The gobbling has been a little strange but so has the entire start of spring. I have been 9 mornings and called in 7 birds. I killed 2 birds, bollweevil killed 1, my wife has killed 1, I have clicked with a dud shell which would have been my second bird and have had 2 misses by hunting partners. I have also had a partner miss in the afternoon. I have heard quite a bit of mid morning gobbling and less gobbling on the roost. The mornings i didn't call in a bird I didn't hear anything.

Keep in mind I am in two hunting clubs and hunt family land as well. No more than one bird harvested in each of the spots I have permission to hunt.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Just a comment on the predator issue. I’ll agree that people don’t hunt and trap like they used to, especially raccoons. Skunks might be a big problem but I’ve never known anyone who hunted or trapped skunks.

One thing that we have noticed a tremendous increase in is buzzards. I see them everywhere, no they are not following me with high expectations, sometimes six or eight just sitting in a tree or on a barn. I would think they destroy a nest would they not?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure they would not pass up a nest if they discovered one. I wish I could find a turkey nest or two and put my game cameras on them.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
Just a comment on the predator issue. I’ll agree that people don’t hunt and trap like they used to, especially raccoons. Skunks might be a big problem but I’ve never known anyone who hunted or trapped skunks.

One thing that we have noticed a tremendous increase in is buzzards. I see them everywhere, no they are not following me with high expectations, sometimes six or eight just sitting in a tree or on a barn. I would think they destroy a nest would they not?

No sir i wouldnt think Buzzards are a prob. Im not a skunk trapper either but they do seem to find their way into some of my sets. Its just a bonus to catch them as they are prolific ground nest destroyers.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Its funny because i have had one of the best years ever. The gobbling has been a little strange but so has the entire start of spring. I have been 9 mornings and called in 7 birds. I killed 2 birds, bollweevil killed 1, my wife has killed 1, I have clicked with a dud shell which would have been my second bird and have had 2 misses by hunting partners. I have also had a partner miss in the afternoon. I have heard quite a bit of mid morning gobbling and less gobbling on the roost. The mornings i didn't call in a bird I didn't hear anything.

Keep in mind I am in two hunting clubs and hunt family land as well. No more than one bird harvested in each of the spots I have permission to hunt.

Same here, tagged out in 4 days of hunting NC the 1st week. That’s my 2nd best season ever!

Heard birds every day but not always on roost... in fact I killed bird both days they didn’t gobble on roost.

Weather was very cold and windy for opening week but still worked out well

JD176

Button Buck
I know I don't post on here but enjoy reading others posts. I have not hunted turkeys in 5 years now because of the decline. You used to go out in the mornings and hear Toms gobbling on the roost everywhere and now nothing. I used to have flocks of birds that would have between 50 to 100 birds in them. Just my opinion but what I can see the reason is that when the corn crops are put in the ground in the spring that flocks would be in these fields going down the rows pecking the seed out. Now, with that said I wonder if all the stuff that the seed has on it such as herbicides, insecticides and round up ready chemical, I have to think that this is not good for the birds. Also when the soy bean fields are sprayed for insects the turkeys go around eating these dead insects. I can remember back in the 70's when all we had to hunt was quail and rabbits and when paraquat and DDT came out our populations ceased. Maybe I am putting to much into this but I know some coyotes may get a few but they ain't getting them all. Just my view. I just can't bring myself to go out and hunt a hand full of toms and only see a few hens. Hopefully the flocks will reproduce again for us. Thanks for listening.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
We'll I'm going to shoot down chicken litter. Farmer covered a 30 acre field with it in March and it's been the best season on the property I can remember. I still don't like it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We'll I'm going to shoot down chicken litter. Farmer covered a 30 acre field with it in March and it's been the best season on the property I can remember. I still don't like it.

been spreading it around here like candy for the last three years,,,,no issues from my perspective but then I did NOT stay at a holiday inn express last night,,,,,,

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can't hunt a farm in western Harnett county that does not use chicken manure. One of the gobblers I killed last year that had 1 in. spurs had dusted in a field with chicken manure. That bird friggin stunk but was quite healthy.?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Seamster (NCWRC turkey bio) allowed as to how that was the problem with chatham county back in the late ninties.]\
GA, MS, AL, TN hunters all are deciding now that that is part of their issue.
Wonder why it took so long there? :)

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not the problem where I hunt in Tennessee. There isn’t a chicken house within miles.