Worst presents ever

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Thinking back over the years about the good times, bad times over the Christmas Holidays and thought about some of the gifts i have seen or received and how they became a happy thought when going back.
So i ask what were some of the worst gifts you ever got, and how many times over the years they have made you smile or chuckle when sharing the story with friends and family.

The cheese wheel (you know the ones, that 20# wheel of cheese) always comes up as a good laugh

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Growing up, mine was pants. I hated getting pants every friggin year for Christmas since I was 12. But then I tried buying my own pants when I got older and found out just how hard it was to buy pants for someone that’s 6’2” and 112lbs. I’ve always been tall and skinny. I became quite grateful if anybody could find pants that fit.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Brother in law gave me a teddy bear one year! (Actually it was Sis in law- she got gifts for everyone from his house). It was cute- little bear holding a fishing rod. She thought it was appropriate because I ‘hunted.’ Though I appreciated the thought, I suggested a $2 box of 22 for the next year!

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I will eat just about anything; but I can't even stand the thought of those chocolate covered cherries. At some point my wife told my MIL that I loved em; so every year at Christmas, as part of my gifts, she always gave me a box of them. My wife would always just laugh and I pretended that i loved it. My MIL passed several years ago; but I still think about it each year and smile.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Being raised in an orphanage the only things we ever got were underwear and socks and if we were lucky a peppermint candy cane. Oh well, that was life....

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
My great grandmother used to give me and my brother socks wrapped in a Krispy Kreme box and she was dead serious. As a kid, I’d rather have had the donuts but looking back I miss those days. My mom makes it a point to give my kids socks wrapped in a Krispy Kreme box as a gag gift.

ahales

Four Pointer
Homebrewale reminded me of this one. Those paddles with the rubber band and ball on the end. They were good gifts but as soon as the rubber band broke they were used to paddle our butts.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Growing up pretty poor I don't recall any bad gifts. Some pretty slim years there where as others have said a pack of underwear and a candy cane was pretty darn good. I had a younger brother one year that wrapped up for all his siblings things he had stolen from us. I got a couple of hot wheels and plastic Army men. We still laugh about that when ever we talk about it.

I guess as an adult when I first moved to NC for the first 5 years or so my MIL gave me a coat for Christmas every year because she never saw me wear one. Of course compared to Northern Maine we dont have winter here in NC much. My MIL lost her battle with cancer about 20 years ago and we miss her.... every time someone asks me where my coat is? I think about her and smile cause she was afraid I was going to freeze.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I worked with a fella who said they were so poor that he got a rubber ball with a chunk bit out of it every year for 5 years in a row. Lol..I'm not sure why that always had me rolling.
We didn't have much money, my Dad was a traveling non- denominational preacher and barely got by. We always got something and I don't remember ever going hungry so I always thought that was all that mattered.
I thought Christmas meant getting to spend time with my uncle and grandparents hunting the Apalachicola National Forest..that was what Christmas meant to me.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No that’s called FAT!

so because a man has an 18 1/2" neck, 50 inch chest, and 36+ inch arms he's fat????

stereotype much there Troutbum?

don't get me wrong,,,I'm fat now - definitely not at fighting weight (but it's coming back for personal reasons),,,but I was a "2XL" when I was in such shape that NO man could out do me in the field,,,,

but hey,,,stereotype folks that are bigger than the "average" person,,,,

SMDH,,,,

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
so because a man has an 18 1/2" neck, 50 inch chest, and 36+ inch arms he's fat????

stereotype much there Troutbum?

don't get me wrong,,,I'm fat now - definitely not at fighting weight (but it's coming back for personal reasons),,,but I was a "2XL" when I was in such shape that NO man could out do me in the field,,,,

but hey,,,stereotype folks that are bigger than the "average" person,,,,

SMDH,,,,

While your shaking you head I was responding to a post that was also stereotypical about my size. And I can assure you that just because I don’t have a 40 waist doesn’t make me “average”.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
While your shaking you head I was responding to a post that was also stereotypical about my size. And I can assure you that just because I don’t have a 40 waist doesn’t make me “average”.

I know what you were responding to,,,fellow calling 2XL "man sized",,,you called it "fat",,,,

guess I just don't understand the conversation,,,,and great you don't have a 40" waist,,,

excuse me butting in

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I know what you were responding to,,,fellow calling 2XL "man sized",,,you called it "fat",,,,

guess I just don't understand the conversation,,,,and great you don't have a 40" waist,,,

excuse me butting in

I took it that less than 2xl wasn’t the size a “man” wears. Maybe I was mistaken. Either way it doesn’t change the fact that a gift I don’t use and is 2 sizes to big for me is a bad present.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I used to think fruit cake was a bad gift until I had a homemade one soaked in rum👍😂

In the beginning of my adult life I was with GA State Patrol and and of course that's where Claxton Fruit Cake is made, Claxton Ga. We used to swing by and get one fresh and still warm off the line. That made them taste a lot different and even today I microwave a piece for about 30 seconds before eating..... I've never tried soaking it in rum, but there's always tomorrow!!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the beginning of my adult life I was with GA State Patrol and and of course that's where Claxton Fruit Cake is made, Claxton Ga. We used to swing by and get one fresh and still warm off the line. That made them taste a lot different and even today I microwave a piece for about 30 seconds before eating..... I've never tried soaking it in rum, but there's always tomorrow!!!
My Dad loved the Claxton fruitcake. Everyone used to give him fruitcake for Christmas, homemade, fancy nut cakes, cakes with fruit brandied,but his favorite was always Claxton. What others thought was a bad present was his idea of the perfect gift.