Working with Covid 19 !!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My understand is, those who are "positive", but shows little to no symptoms don't spread it. My cousin's daughter got married earlier this year. Her husband came down positive, but with very mild symptoms for about 2 days. Now, remember, NEWLY WEDS...and she is now pregnant because they wanted to go ahead and have kids. She tested negative, and has never shown any symptoms.
In my opinion, that says a lot.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No one and I mean NO ONE disagrees with staying at home if you are sick... BUT that’s not what this thread was about.
Really?
I started it and yes that was what it is about.

People testing positive and going to work knowing they are sick because they don't want to go broke.

So whats it about?

BTW he stayed home today after going to work yesterday because he was sick all yesterday at work.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You miss the point... tests are not being required for folks that knowingly have been exposed.
May want to look into that.

Wifes mom and dad were exposed last week by a security and medical personal. Both tested Positive. Here mom and dad were tested after notification of the personal being Positive. They just got there tests back, took several days maybe 5 or 6. Both negative thank god!

They will be retested later in the week.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Test positive with no symptoms... or they’ve been living with someone who has tested positive BUT they themselves are not required to get tested or quarantine.... instead to keep working

Btw... this isn’t hypothetical... I’ve personally seen it happen

I can assure you neither of those scenarios occurs at my place of business. That’s BS (employers allowing such).

Those employers are BEGGING for OSHA to come in.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe not where you work but other employers are testing their employees.

A “close contact” with a known infected person will get you 14 days of quarantine, where I work. You’re not allowed on our premises during that time.

Symptomatic or not is irrelevant. The quarantine period is longer for a close contact.....than for a known, infected person (due to the incubation period).

You can get a test, during your quarantine period.....but it won’t get you back to work any sooner.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nope. Covid is BS. I don't care what you government conformists say.

I'm far from a Covid conformist 😁
Since the beginning of this Chinese fiasco I've primarily worked our Covid ICU managing ventilators. The bug is real for a select few and isn't BS. What's BS, is how it's being played politically to restrict our freedoms and to divide and control people. Nevertheless, the sickest of our patients spend on average 2 solid weeks on a ventilator after failing Bipap or Heated High Flow. Flu A or B doesn't do this, nor does septic shock with ARDS if they survive. The longest I've seen is around 5-6 weeks on the vent, any more than that, the patient usually dies. Covid comes with a unique set of lab markers which I've not seen or noticed in any other diseases caused by a bacteria or virus - elevated D-Dimer, elevated C-Reactive Protein, normal Pro-cal, elevated Ferritin, increased Fibrinogen Assay and Lymphopenia. WBC is usually low normal but can be all over the charts. There are others but the ones noted are the normal culprits in patients with Covid. What I'm starting to notice at our facility is that nearly 20% of our admitted patients are Covid patients, and if the trend continues, we're gonna run out of areas to put them. That's pretty significant, taking note of previous years where Flu/Croup/RSV, etc, doesn't even come close to that percentage. I can only speak for what I've seen firsthand, but another thing we're noticing are blood clots with re-admissions. Folks discharged that come back weeks later, after recovering, are coming in with elevated D-Dimer and clotting issues. A question I have for the Docs: How long do clotting issues last after one contracts the bug? Is this yet known?
~Covid Fatigue~

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Blah Blah Blah..

If I get a stomach bug, I stay home.

If I get strep throat I stay home.

If I get a contagious bug I stay home.

Those of you that have quit living because the government and the media told you to are the dumbasses.

And for the record, I have had my time!
Blah Blah Blah..

If I get a stomach bug, I stay home.

If I get strep throat I stay home.

If I get a contagious bug I stay home.

Those of you that have quit living because the government and the media told you to are the dumbasses.

And for the record, I have had my time!
For the record, I haven't quit living. Over a dozen camping trips, Colorado elk hunt, numerous deer hunts and see my family every chance I get. But, the thing is, I actually see COVID every single day that I work.

I see the 70 yr old and the fear in their eyes as we tell them that we are about to put them on a ventilator, because their oxygen level is 64%.

I see the 32 yo pregnant mother, with 2 other children, who has COVID and has just been told she has a massive PE in lungs.

I have sat in the room and held the hand of the 15 yo kid, whom the doctor just told him that his 40 yo old Dad just passed away from COVID.

And those underlying conditions you speak of that were "going to kill them anyway" You do realize that almost EVERY person has an underlying condition. Diabetes, heart disease, COPD, CAD, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney disease, liver disease, autoimmune disease, smoking, being over weight, drug use, alcohol use, cancer, anemia, pregnancy. The list goes on and on.

So, if you can come at me with some real experience and real knowledge about COVID, I may give you the time of day. But other than that, please keep your idiotic comments to yourself.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Test positive with no symptoms... or they’ve been living with someone who has tested positive BUT they themselves are not required to get tested or quarantine.... instead to keep working

Btw... this isn’t hypothetical... I’ve personally seen it happen
well that's not the route for companies and health departments i have had to work with.
you test postive you out of work.
you live with a positive you quarantine.
that's what i have seen personally happen.

I think that is what any sane person would do with or without govt/company guidelines.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How would you know someone was infected, if they were asymptomatic?

ok now,,,, you're the one who claimed you knew 5 people who tested positive, 4 of which were asymptomatic,,,

then claimed you were positive,,, but asymptomatic (well, had no fever, so I assume no other symptoms since you didn't mention them in your fear)

so answer your own question - how would you know they were infected? Or are you arguing that ALL should wear a mask because they can't know if they may test positive even if NOT sick?

if so, then I again ask,,,

if a person is positive for covid,,,but have no symptoms,,, it can only be for one of three reasons,,,

1 - a false positive (which you claim is BS)
2 - covid has mutated to where it's not "scary" ( very possible)
3 - the asymptotic folks have a SUPER IMMUNE SYSTEM that we need to study,, (cool)

so which is it? Since you punted last time, I expect you'll punt this time...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Then why the :donk:donk:donk:donk did you bring it up and go on the rants?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I really don’t.

come on young Man,,,you're not that old to forget what you posted earlier today,,,

he's referring to your post where you asked (demanded??) to know folks "experience" ,,,

fter you post up an opinion, post up your experience with the virus.

the only reason a person would ask (demand?) that is to attempt to minimize the value of other's opinions,,,,

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I can assure you neither of those scenarios occurs at my place of business. That’s BS (employers allowing such).

Those employers are BEGGING for OSHA to come in.
Is OSHA even working (conducting site inspections or complaint inspections)? I’ve seen MSHA in the field, but not OSHA.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is OSHA even working (conducting site inspections or complaint inspections)? I’ve seen MSHA in the field, but not OSHA.

I’m not sure. But, have an outbreak.....and they come in and identify lax protocols....and they’ll cite the general duty clause on you in a second.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
come on young Man,,,you're not that old to forget what you posted earlier today,,,

he's referring to your post where you asked (demanded??) to know folks "experience" ,,,

the only reason a person would ask (demand?) that is to attempt to minimize the value of other's opinions,,,,

I’ll minimize any unintelligent response. So will you.

Ignorance isn’t a dirty word. I’m ignorant on many subjects. let’s just say I like to know who I’m talking to.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ok now,,,, you're the one who claimed you knew 5 people who tested positive, 4 of which were asymptomatic,,,

then claimed you were positive,,, but asymptomatic (well, had no fever, so I assume no other symptoms since you didn't mention them in your fear)

so answer your own question - how would you know they were infected? Or are you arguing that ALL should wear a mask because they can't know if they may test positive even if NOT sick?

if so, then I again ask,,,

if a person is positive for covid,,,but have no symptoms,,, it can only be for one of three reasons,,,

1 - a false positive (which you claim is BS)
2 - covid has mutated to where it's not "scary" ( very possible)
3 - the asymptotic folks have a SUPER IMMUNE SYSTEM that we need to study,, (cool)

so which is it? Since you punted last time, I expect you'll punt this time...

You’re all over the place. It’s getting pretty pathetic.

if you want claim I said something, quote me. Otherwise, stop the :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk.

We had a small group in a laboratory with close contacts with a known infected person. The company, fearing an “outbreak”, paid for testing of everyone who worked in the lab (several people). Some tested positive, but reported no symptoms.

I tested positive. At no time have I stated my symptoms, nor has anyone asked. So, I haven’t “claimed” anything. I lost my sense of taste/smell and had minor cold symptoms. I also experienced some vivid (nightmare) dreams. Look it up.

and.....those questions at the end are so stupid, I won’t dignify them with a response. You can do better. Ask a legitimate question in a non-smarmy manner....and I’ll answer it.

Last edited:

timber

Twelve Pointer
After today i am about to believe these covid test are about as reliable as Gov Copper but guess its what we have to work with for now. Starting to wonder how many test you need to take before you know for sure if your positive or not

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
After today i am about to believe these covid test are about as reliable as Gov Copper but guess its what we have to work with for now. Starting to wonder how many test you need to take before you know for sure if your positive or not

I'd rely on the bloodwork vs the test

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Well I'm certainly no expert but I've been working with covid positives since spring one on one intermittently and I've had it myself. So here is my 2 cents. First asymptomatic does not mean false positive it is possible but not the most likely we have luxury of verifying by lab tests positive cases by checking things like CRP so far no false positives in patients. Currently have 10 workers positive in last 2 weeks out of those 2 very sick couple with moderate symptoms and 2 basically nothing but fatigue. They have shortened the quarantine time of asymptomatic people so they can go back work sooner. If you go out and your positive just because you feel fine your being very irresponsible. You may not be sick but if you infect a mom who then goes to see her elderly diabetic mother then you have put her life in danger very real danger. While this virus may not make many younger people sick it should just be common sense the elderly whether in a nursing home or at home should be considered into going out knowingly positive. As far as the getting paid the govt still has program in effect for compensating you for missed work I think its 700 for full time 350 for part time for your quarantine period.
ABC News tonight reported that 40% of covid deaths in US have been in Long Term Care facilities. I am guessing 5% or less (probably a fraction of 1% ?) of US lives in a LTC facility. ASSuming ABC is reporting accurately, I am surprised these LTC facilities are getting hit this hard. I knew they had a problem but didn't know they had this much of a problem...

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My understand is, those who are "positive", but shows little to no symptoms don't spread it.

Soil can you point me to that data. What I have read is the opposite of that... and that is part of the problem, even the experts can't seem to agree on some of the basics of this thing.

I know there is a point in the arch, of even symptomatic people, where it can no longer be spread and logic says the arch is the same even for those showing no symptoms. I also know, based on my reading that the PCR test is accurate technically but if they have to cycle the DNA more than I believe I remember 20 times that the amount of virus is so low that it is not considered an active infection and cannot be spread. (those high cycle positives are known to be returned for up to a couple of months after the infection) For reference in NC several of the labs cycle up to 32 times when testing.

If they really wanted to accurately report numbers the state would build in a margin of error in the cycles allowed during testing (if the contagious threshold is 20, make the test cycles 25 just to be sure) and stop reporting "positives" that are clearly residual.. they were positive at one time yes but we should only care if they are currently active with the disease in this phase. I admit that there may be some benefit in knowing that someone WAS positive at some point, as longer term ramifications of that become known if there are any..