work up

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well, last few days my pup and I have put the "finishing touches" on her training/experience before she goes to the VJP (ntural ability/puppy test) here this weekend and the next (the second one is in case I do some bone headed thing on the first one),,,

they get "tested" on their search, pointing, tracking a rabbit, and cooperation (manners/obedience, etc),,,,

she is an ANIMAL when it comes to game,,,pure killer,,,haven't seen such since my last cur,,,,

so we head to TN (nashville area) on Friday,,,,test over the weekend, ,,then up to Illinios for a meeting (and a goof off day at a preserve),,,then back home for another VJP the weekend of 17 Feb,,,,

for those who care, I'll let you know how she did on the 18th!!

this was yesterday (excuse pitiful cell phone pick),,,,

she love the rabbit she caught,,toted it back to the truck for me,,

toting rabbit.jpg

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Have fun! Remember to relax. The judges want you and your dog to do well. It looks like she's nailing the track, the search and the point is already baked into her, and I'm sure she's reasonably cooperative. A cooperative dog doesn't have to be obedient, but an obedient dog is cooperative, if that makes sense. I don't know how different they are but in NAVHDA if the dog is generally thought to be relating to you you'll do fine. Its the dogs that can't recall back to the owner that get dinged.

Out of curiosity, do you have a score/rating in mind that you're looking for to not test again? I only wonder since sometimes different days and different conditions can cause a "worse" result the second time around...Tracking conditions especially come ti mind.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,Out of curiosity, do you have a score/rating in mind that you're looking for to not test again? I only wonder since sometimes different days and different conditions can cause a "worse" result the second time around...Tracking conditions especially come ti mind.

she recalls fine unless there is blood on her mind,,,,then it's a timing thing,,,,

score as far as retesting? no number in mind, I will leave that to advice from judges,,,since there is a 50 - 90% chance of rain all weekend where we are testing, I am not expecting anything but a road trip!!

may test no matter what on the second weekend, just for the additional experience (unless judges say that is a dumb idea),,,,

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Love living vicariously through your posts. This one is no different. Have fun! You deserve it!

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
People who have never had a good hunting dog will never understand the joy having one brings. Looks like you have a good one.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well she did just fine,,,two days of steady rain made for some challenging conditions this weekend for the dogs. Aggie qualified so I am happy, she did just fine (for having to deal with rookie handler)

she's the pretty dog with the one eyed fat man,,,,,,

27858374_1571231836279393_3602070062590363734_n.jpg

she thinks she owns me with that foot on top of mine,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"One eyed fat man"..........................Is your name Rooster by chance? ;)

Glad she did well, nothing like a young one coming on. I have one now that is the most fun I have had with a dog in years. Very enjoyable, only dog people can even come close to understanding.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes but in this case more a fact that I had here pulled tight up agains my knee - that building behind us had quail in it and she wanted them

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I may have missed it somewhere but what breed is she?

Drahthaar.

JGHV tests Drahts, Kurzhaars, Deutsch Langhaars, munsterlanders and some pudelpointers.

Deutsch Drahthaar translates to German Wirehaired, Kurzhaar to Shorthair; the registry is regulated in such a manner that only tested dogs meeting a minimum performance and health standard are allowed to breed.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Great job! Will she bring back my Swan next year? Never mind Mike is a great retriever and I enjoyed watching those guys chase the other ones around the field.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
plan is she will be on those swans and such next year,,,,,have a plan!

and if nothing else we will have fun,,,,,

she's with me here in Moline, Illinois,,,,7 degrees out,,,she was tracking the cat and squirrel tracks in the snow,,,,

stanley

Four Pointer
I thought that what she was by the pictures. i used to see one used to blood trail deer and bear in engelhard back in the early 90's. also Will Bookhardt at Bookhardt farms used them down close to Santee SC