Work commute

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
What's work? Jk. My current commute depends on the day but average 15 miles or so round trip checking cows. Mileage and hours vary.

I had the best commute that can't be beat. I lived in an apartment right next to my work in SoDak. Down the stairs and out the door, 4 paces, and I was on my job's property. Probably 200' to the time clock.

I called in one day on account it was snowing. Told my boss I couldn't make it in due to the blinding blizzard like conditions. He pauses on the other end and then says (there was some colorful language so I'll PG it), "Wait a beep minute! You live next door! What do you want me to build you a beeping beep canopy?!? Walk your ass over here!" We had a good laugh and I went to work.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
We just moved our office in January. Used to be 35 miles and 45 minutes around the east side of 485 in Charlotte back and forth. The new place is over by the airport so I have to go the other way. Still 35 miles. About 40 minutes going in, and anywhere from 50 minutes to 1.5 hours coming home. The traffic over there STINKS!

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
7 miles, 15 minutes all on side roads. Never get above 45 mph. Just enough commute time to catch some news in the morning, and switch to 'home' mode in the afternoon...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
office is across the hall from bedroom on second floor,,,,,coffee's down in the kitchen though,,,,

I do travel a lot for work though,,,,

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
I used to drive 12 miles - 20 minute to work, then crawl into an 18 wheeler and drive 400 to 600 miles., drive back home 12 miles - 20 minutes. I'm now retired and only drive if I absolutely have to.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'm at about 10 to 12 miles if I remember.
Takes me 15 to 20 min most the time other than a wreck to weather.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
for me it's not bad I have to be at work around 4:45-5am then get off around 4-430pm. Its 17 miles from the house usually takes me around 23 minutes. Not really any traffic just gotta watch out for deer.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year, a 60 mile trip one way to the office. This year, retirement. Its a good thing........

23mako

Ten Pointer
60 miles each way. Not too bad though and a good way to drink some coffee and listen to a podcast.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Since going back to work last Summer the drive is give or take 6 min, the previous 4 years was 770 miles

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
My office is at least a mile from my home!! :)

I do travel quite a bit though, currently my furthest listing is a 63 acre tract south of Monroe...

I also had a 40 acre tract west of Mt Airy but I sold that one back in December...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
My great uncle had it pegged. Lived across a path road to a general store he owned.
Then my dad built fishing rods and sold tackle in a shop in his yard.
Now those are some fine commutes.
But dummy me has to drive 26 miles thru backroads to hit an interstate for a few miles each day.
It's good and bad.
Gives you time to be ready mentally when you arrive but so far as to be a grind that is endured instead of enjoyed some days.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
About 6 miles and 8-10 minutes for the past 12 years. I did a 50 mile commute for many, many years though, so I know how it is. I feel for you long-haulers. It SUCKS!!!

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
1.5hrs and the stupidity starts in Chapel Hill....

Want to know why traffic sucks....because these idiots stop 1.5-2 cars short at the lights pushing cars back.

Dont get me started on 15-501 and the genius that thought it was a great idea to knock it down to 1 lane from 3 to constipate the whole place

thandy

Ten Pointer
75 miles about an hour and 10 minutes if traffic isn't bad. I commute from Elkin to Charlotte every day. I am lucky I do have a guy to split the driving with. It just sucks when its my week to drive...

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I used to do 17 miles / 25 minutes.

Now it's 7 miles, 12 minutes, 1 stop sign, 0-1 traffic lights depending on which direction I approach work. :)