Woodcock...

old dog

Spike
I squirrel hunt at Jordan and have kicked up one or two each trip (3)the last 10 days or so. I have not hunted for them myself ( no dog,no knowledge). Does anybody hunt for them without dogs? Is it worth trying to take a shot with no dog for recovery? If I had been expecting them I might have had a shot on a couple, I won't presume I'd have hit one but I don't want to waste a bird

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I squirrel hunt at Jordan and have kicked up one or two each trip (3)the last 10 days or so. I have not hunted for them myself ( no dog,no knowledge). Does anybody hunt for them without dogs? Is it worth trying to take a shot with no dog for recovery? If I had been expecting them I might have had a shot on a couple, I won't presume I'd have hit one but I don't want to waste a bird
Its about like finding Doves, if that helps.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, I would shoot one without a dog... No, I wouldn't waste my time hunting them without dogs.

I've hunted them a couple of times without dogs, but you'll walk by most of them. Woodcock can be some tight-holding rascals. I've seen them sitting tight even with the dog's nose almost on top of them. And there are some that I would not have found without the dog, but that wouldn't keep me from shooting them if I flushed one.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
Don’t let the lack of a dog keep you from the woods. Our crowd does pretty well without the use of a dog. We do find right many sticking tight at our feet and probably walk by five times as many that we don’t see. But it is possible to be quite successful without a dog...

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Yes, I would shoot one without a dog... No, I wouldn't waste my time hunting them without dogs.

I've hunted them a couple of times without dogs, but you'll walk by most of them. Woodcock can be some tight-holding rascals. I've seen them sitting tight even with the dog's nose almost on top of them. And there are some that I would not have found without the dog, but that wouldn't keep me from shooting them if I flushed one.

I saw a video yesterday of a setter that ran over one before he caught the scent and went on point. The bird was holding tight up against the dogs rear leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's great. Hydration bladder, tons of room, well, designed. It's great for carrying everything needed for you, a friend, and the dog. It really shines when you are away from the truck for awhile and need to carry more stuff. The limitation is weight, not space.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think some have moved in. I was in an area that they frequent and saw some scratching and jumped a couple today.