Woodcock...

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Season opens today.

Anyone getting out to see if there’s a flight moving through?

Any of you guys been seeing birds yet?

I’ve only been getting random reports of singles and doubles all across the state. No big push yet. Hoping some weather will push them down soon.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been hearing a couple here and there for a month now. Not sure how many are here, but there’s one way to find out.

I thought about trying to go today, but there is too much going on. Not sure what this snow will do to them.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I wanted to get out today for birds or deer but with all the stuff I need to do prior to the storm, it ain’t gonna happen. I flushed 3 a few weeks ago and one grouse last week but nothing else.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think we may prowl some of the same bottoms, Cat.

Heading down to the river in a few. See if I can jump a few.
The river here is so choked in privet I stay away from it for the most part. I do have some nice open creek bottoms they love that is usually my indicator they are here. When I was young we used to hunt them all up and down the river prior to it being overtaken with that dang privet.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
The river here is so choked in privet I stay away from it for the most part. I do have some nice open creek bottoms they love that is usually my indicator they are here. When I was young we used to hunt them all up and down the river prior to it being overtaken with that dang privet.
Made a 3mi lap up the usual bottoms. No birds jumped. Gonna give them a week or two and go back

Good thing in early season, when I do find them, We pop 3 pretty quick with them bunched up.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Personally I like them fried, but I am a fried food lover. To me they are better than quail and usually a little larger.

They can be fixed the way any small bird can I.E. fried, grilled. And they are most scrumptious.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
You guys useing 7 1/2 shot?

20 gauge. AA Super Handicap 7.5 or 8 shot.
Cylinder choke.

They almost always jump straight up and hesitate/flutter about 20’ off the ground when I send the dog in.

That’s the shot I like. Plus keeps my dog safe from low fliers.

blackbear

Spike
I have a AH FOX Sterlingworth made 1917 in 16ga. Choked mod/full with 26inch barrels built on 20ga.frame you think it would work ok for grouse and woodcock?weighs 6 3/4#

Attachments

• 20181205_092347.jpg
    20181205_092347.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181205_092752.jpg
    20181205_092752.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 32

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
That will work!

BUT!!!

It’s too pretty to beat around in the woods as a walking stick, brush beater, and whatnot.

I used to carry my Benelli for years after grouse and birds. Too heavy considering I carry it about 5miles per grouse flush.

I switched to a youth 20ga. Super short. Weighs about 5.5#. Real quick handling.

Grouse are the worlds BEST at finding the one tree between you and them. I try to bust them as soon as they are clear of my dog.
That’s why I hunt quartering into the wind. She’s usually downwind of bird on my left or right and I get a left or right cross when they blow out. Same with woodcock.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I have a AH FOX Sterlingworth made 1917 in 16ga. Choked mod/full with 26inch barrels built on 20ga.frame you think it would work ok for grouse and woodcock?weighs 6 3/4#

That would be a fine gun to use. Maybe a little heavy but I’d hate to use it for grouse. My grouse gun gets beat up chasing those birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Whats the best way to cook woodcock?
First time I cooked some I put it in a cast iron skillet w some butter and salt so I could get a good idea what the meat tasted like. I’ve done that and added onions or minced garlic etc. like AppMtn said, wrapped in bacon is good too . That’s how I do my dove

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
That will work!

BUT!!!

It’s too pretty to beat around in the woods as a walking stick, brush beater, and whatnot.

I used to carry my Benelli for years after grouse and birds. Too heavy considering I carry it about 5miles per grouse flush.

I switched to a youth 20ga. Super short. Weighs about 5.5#. Real quick handling.

Got to agree here. Toted my 20ga 870 compact yesterday. Light quick and not worried about it getting dinged.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like 'em fried in bacon grease, with or without breading.

They usually flush close. Much closer than grouse, IMO. Improved cylinder is the most versatile, but skeet would probably be even better for most of the shots I get. There's been quite a few times when I couldn't shoot because they flew right past my head.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
My dad and I used to hunt them. Something else that I miss doing with him.

I have flushed a couple in the bottom on our lease. I was surprised to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Moved one bird Saturday...walked the creek bottoms for an hour or so...Sandhills area...no quail moved. Walked six miles all day, mostly for quail.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Moved one bird Saturday...walked the creek bottoms for an hour or so...Sandhills area...no quail moved. Walked six miles all day, mostly for quail.

Got up 2 lookin for pigs in the snow last night. Right where I brought the dog through on Saturday. Hopefully a flight hangs around for a bit with all this melting snow and warmer weather this week.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
You guys useing 7 1/2 shot?
I use whatever cheap target loads I have (assuming the gun will run them.)

They aren't hard to kill and are usually close-ish when they flush. The Million dollar question is, will you have a shot through all the crap they seem to like to inhabit.