Woodcock Vocalization Video

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunted woodcock for the first time of the season this morning. Flushed one and missed, but had a good time nonetheless. The dog worked really well. Came home and split wood in the side yard this afternoon until dark. I heard our resident woodcock start calling back and forth like they've been doing recently. One was really close, so I pulled out my phone and videoed him "peenting". Just as I started filming, another one was chattering as he came flying in from the open field over my head and joined that one, and they both started the whistling/chirping and went flying high into the air.

It was cool to hear all 3 vocalizations within a matter of seconds. The "peent" is the loudest and most obvious call, but the chirping is pretty noticeable once you learn what to listen for. The flying chatter reminds me of a mallard and is much less common.

You can see the one come flying in really good, and then immediately after, both go flying up (whistling) just to the right of the big tree trunk.

[VIDEO]

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Great video. I hear them almost every evening right before dark around here, but I've never heard one that I can recall during legal hunting hours. Is that typical?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes. They are active at night and will not usually call during daylight. Best time to hear them is right at dark. Dawn is the second best time. Usually, if they are around, you can listen right before dark and hear them as that peent call carries a long way.