Woodcock .... pretty cool bird

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just found this site about study on the woodcock and its migration and thought others might find it interesting.

I still remember my first encounter with one in the fall woods grouse hunting in New England. It was my first year hunting and I was a college student and a group of my college friends were bird hunting when two of them flushed in front of me. I wasn't sure what it was this critter that looked like a hummingbird on steroids. After they flushed one of the other guys killed one of them and I learned they were also legal game. I've never specifically hunted for them but have killed a few over the years while grouse hunting. The land we use to have in Caswell County I use to see woodcock in this one spot all the time late in deer season or small game season. I never tried to hunt them in Caswell just enjoyed the flush and the memories of those earlier days.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I usually flush quite a few in northern WI when I'm hunting Grouse in Oct. Love to hear them flush and fly, don't care for them as table fare.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I have the most predictable woodcock imaginable in my yard this year. Same exact spot every evening. I would bet a large sum of money that I could catch him in a mousetrap. My son and I have enjoyed having him around. Even when he flushes he makes about a 45 second circle and comes right back.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting read, I see quite a few in WV, never shot one or ate one.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I've had 2 or 3 startle the crap outta me while walking my woods over the past 15+ or so years. :D

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Had a spot at Jordan where I could go and right before dark they would to those courtship flights and I could get few every evening after skirl hunting. 25752

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They have a bit of a liver texture. Cool birds. I love to hunt them and enjoy eating them too. There is a migration map that tracks them based on volunteer sightings.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
They can be kinda gammy as I recall but similar to grouse.

Grouse is white meat (a walking bird) whereas Woodcock is a dark meat (flying bird) I've always found WC to taste like earth worms which is their main diet, no thanks.. Love to see them flush and watch the migration against a full moon but not as table fare.....

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
My dog has a knack for finding and flushing them, I rarely flushed them tell I got my dog.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
Interesting article. Shot my first Woodcock in 1967 while rabbit hunting in a marsh area.
It flew up near my feet, straight up and I knew what it was. This was in Davidson Co, NC.
When I picked it up I thought it looked a bit "different" with the eyes and that long bill, pretty color.
I remember it tasted good.
My second Woodcock came around 1972-73 in Sumter Co, SC where I was stationed.
Again, I was walking up rabbits near a creek/marsh area and same thing happened, flew straight up.
I read somewhere that the meat is opposite most birds, that the legs are light meat and the breast is
dark meat, don't know if that's so or not. I remember eating it and like the first one, it was good.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
WC are dependable alarm clocks for morning duck hunts. Figured out pretty quickly that ducks would start flying pretty quickly after those crazy flying birds flew.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Interesting article. Shot my first Woodcock in 1967 while rabbit hunting in a marsh area.
It flew up near my feet, straight up and I knew what it was. This was in Davidson Co, NC.
When I picked it up I thought it looked a bit "different" with the eyes and that long bill, pretty color.
I remember it tasted good.
My second Woodcock came around 1972-73 in Sumter Co, SC where I was stationed.
Again, I was walking up rabbits near a creek/marsh area and same thing happened, flew straight up.
I read somewhere that the meat is opposite most birds, that the legs are light meat and the breast is
dark meat, don't know if that's so or not. I remember eating it and like the first one, it was good.
Luckily, they all taste that good every time.

I love hunting them. Very hot/cold with the migration flights, but my dog likes to look for them, so that’s enough reward for me.

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
They can be kinda gammy as I recall but similar to grouse.
I like eating Woodcock . Bast them in butter then wrap them in bacon. Then I grill or bake them, And leave them red in the center, you don't want them dry. Wash it down with some red wine. They have a dove like taste in my opinion.