Woodcock and Sharptail Breast in Jalapeno Whiskey Cream Sauce

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I think this would work with duck breast as well...
A few notes:
  • I didn't want to go to the store to buy jalapenos so I used some that I smoked this fall (not chipotles but similar); I used two since they were small
    • The dish was spicy with two of them; If you aren't a spicy food fan, go with a couple Anaheim peppers
  • I used half and half instead of whipping cream for calorie reasons; the result was a predictably less thick sauce; If I do it again I'll add a tablespoon or two of corn starch to thicken it up
  • I used a sour mash bourbon, since It's what I had on hand; if I'm thinking about it ahead of time I might use a sweeter whiskey, a bourbon that uses more corn, maybe even Southern Comfort
  • I used Wild Rice...Given the spicy nature of the dish I'd use a cajun rice in the future, or a less hot pepper and add mushrooms
  • I cooked it in an enameled skillet, i recommend it if you have one available

One cup rice, uncooked, Salt, pepper, whipping cream (I used half and half,) one or two jalapenos, deseeded and chopped, two shallots or one medium-big onion chopped, oil, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 to 1/3 cup of whiskey

Start the rice about an hour and ten before you want to eat.

Season breasts with salt and pepper, and lightly brown in a skillet on each side in a neutral oil...

Remove breasts, discard oil,

Saute the shallot and jalapeno in the butter and olive oil, til translucent

Add whiskey to deglaze the skillet...cook til the whiskey is reduced to about half...

Add whipping cream, amount depends on how many servings; I used about 1.5 pints for what amounted to four servings...stir, and add breasts and cook to desired level...A hint, Sharptail especially take poorly to overcooking. Woodcock do as well but the breasts are small enough you can sort of get away with it...

Serve over rice.