Wood Duck Pond Hunt

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got a pond on the farm that typically draws a few wood ducks. What’s the best way to get a couple hunts out of a good farm pond? My extremely limited waterfowl knowledge is telling me to toss out 3-4 decoys and get in the bushes on the bank. Any suggestions or tips on how y’all hunt ponds would be welcome.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
What I do is go the morning before and watch where they come from and where majority of them land. Get as close to the X the morning you hunt. A jerk string with a couple decoys on it can be very effective. The respond well to moving water. If not it never hurts to throw a couple decoys out to influence where they land. But they are probably the most hard headed duck there is.

I don't hunt my wood duck spots more than once a week and if I can try to wait every other week to keep pressure down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
What I do is go the morning before and watch where they come from and where majority of them land. Get as close to the X the morning you hunt. A jerk string with a couple decoys on it can be very effective. The respond well to moving water. If not it never hurts to throw a couple decoys out to influence where they land. But they are probably the most hard headed duck there is.

I don't hunt my wood duck spots more than once a week and if I can try to wait every other week to keep pressure down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Great advice

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My aunts pond usually holds 2-4 on a daily basis. It's surrounded by trees on 3 sides so they only have one way to fly out. Flying fast and directly towards you is not the easiest shot.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
a few decoys and a rippler or two will work fine. Be where they are using. You should have some great decoying shots. Dont overpressure them. Try to improve the habitat and amount of food in the pond next year to get a few more using in there.

Gus

Six Pointer
Unless it's really blowin hard don't worry about getting wind at your back- wood ducks lite with the wind, or side to as often as into the wind.