Wood burning grill question

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
I got a Oklahoma Joe’s wood burning offset smoker for Father’s Day last year. It’s pretty awesome and I can immediately tell a flavor difference over my electric vertical pellet grill. It is a lot more work though.

This particular smoker has additional grates that you can put over the fire for direct cooking. Well, I thought back the the best steak I ever had (Charlie’s in Florida) and they cook over citrus-wood fire. So I tried it in my offset with some pecan and cherry and the steaks were FANTASTIC. I’ll never cook steaks any other way again.

But, this is a smoker with an optional direct cooking grate. So I figure I might as well look around for a purpose built grill that supports cooking over wood logs. Yeah, I might build a brick one, but I could always use another grill...

Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, I’ve always heard the green egg is awesome. What’s it’s deal, and is it even an option for what I’m trying to do? (Not that I want to spend that kind of cash)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been looking at these

Looks nice. At $1400 no way for me.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Looks nice. At $1400 no way for me.
Lots of different options for Argentine grills. Pretty simple, something a fab shop could make or anyone who’s proficient in metal work.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Huh, hadn’t thought of the Argentine type grills. Pretty slick but they look like they won’t hold up.

Definitely not paying $1400

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lots of different options for Argentine grills. Pretty simple, something a fab shop could make or anyone who’s proficient in metal work.

I agree. I'm a huge fan of cooking with wood. For a while, I've been trying to design my outdoor cooking area. I'll probably settle on a Santa Maria in the middle, with a brick oven on one side, and a smoking closet on the other. With the Santa Maria pit doubling as the fire box for the closet.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Cowboy Kent Rollins On YouTube. He uses a hasty bake I think and it is similar to what you want. Green egg style would work too.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I got a Oklahoma Joe’s wood burning offset smoker for Father’s Day last year. It’s pretty awesome and I can immediately tell a flavor difference over my electric vertical pellet grill. It is a lot more work though.

This particular smoker has additional grates that you can put over the fire for direct cooking. Well, I thought back the the best steak I ever had (Charlie’s in Florida) and they cook over citrus-wood fire. So I tried it in my offset with some pecan and cherry and the steaks were FANTASTIC. I’ll never cook steaks any other way again.

But, this is a smoker with an optional direct cooking grate. So I figure I might as well look around for a purpose built grill that supports cooking over wood logs. Yeah, I might build a brick one, but I could always use another grill...

Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, I’ve always heard the green egg is awesome. What’s it’s deal, and is it even an option for what I’m trying to do? (Not that I want to spend that kind of cash)

Thanks!

You can cook with wood on a Weber kettle. Aside from that, all the wood “specific” ones I know of are custom built or small scale and their price reflects it.

This is on my wishlist...

https://www.fuegostx.com/

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Charcoal burns hotter than wood, so you can use a charcoal grill. I have a green egg. If I want smokey flavor I just toss a chunk of wood on top of the charcoal. I also make my own charcoal so I can throw in a big chunk or two of wood that doesn't totally carbonize and get a simialr effect.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Charcoal burns hotter than wood, so you can use a charcoal grill. I have a green egg. If I want smokey flavor I just toss a chunk of wood on top of the charcoal. I also make my own charcoal so I can throw in a big chunk or two of wood that doesn't totally carbonize and get a simialr effect.
I don't make my own(too lazy for that)but can attest that the brand "Cowboy"Charcoal is some good stuff for exactly that. I use it when I want some super hot cooking on my Weber kettle grill, it will really light up my chimney when it's getting started too.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I thought about making my own, just never got around to it. The stuff you buy has too many small pieces in it. You use 2 different size barrels or another method?

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Thanks folks. Sounds like my best bet is to build a brick one. I originally was concerned with the lack of airflow under the wood, but it’d be just too easy to buy a fire grate...

I’ll definitely do some research into the Argentine grill setup before I commit to building anything.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

FlipFlop281

Button Buck
Coming in late but I’ve got a Oklahoma Joe’s offset, a DynaGlo vertical, and a Weber kettle. I like all three for different reasons. Oklahoma Joe is great for big cuts of meat and feeding a crowd. DynaGlo is great for smoking sausages. The Weber is the most versatile one I have. I can sear a steak on my Grill Grates or put my vortex in the center and use the snake method and smoke a pork butt 8 hours. What can I say, I’ve got to have one of everything!