Wolverine vs a pair of wolves

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I have seen their smaller cousin, a Fisher, push a pair of coyotes off a frozen deer carcass. I also watched one clean a couple of chicks out of a Great Blue Heron nest. Within a couple of weeks every chick was gone from about 20 nests. All those weasels are ferocious predators with an incredible amount of energy.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
LAST animal on earth you want to screw with, talk about a butt whipping, it's WAY more than you can carry on your body. Hunting Grouse in WI I came across a Badger, the Wolverine's first cousin. I saw him/her before it saw me so we had a pleasant encounter, I went away and left it alone and it did the same to me, thank God!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
An associate of mine trapped a nice one in Alaska and ended up using the pic as the cover for his book he wrote about his Alaska trapping trip
FE6CC782-EBEF-45C9-8C4E-D2D81C07F302.jpeg

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Saw one passing though the woods from the treestand while bowhunting in Durham County over 20 years ago. I stayed up till WAY after dark that night!

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Saw one passing though the woods from the treestand while bowhunting in Durham County over 20 years ago. I stayed up till WAY after dark that night!
You sure it wasn't a small bear or a dark-ish badger or enormous coon? He was far, far from home otherwise...

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
You sure it wasn't a small bear or a dark-ish badger or enormous coon? He was far, far from home otherwise...
I am only sure of what I saw.

My only visual of an actual wolverine back then was from Mutual of Omaha videos. That and I recall looking one up in the ole Encyclopedia Britannica round the time "Red Dawn" came out (I was 11).

So what I saw looked EXACTLY like the video Moose posted, as well as any number of other wolverine videos now readily available. It had white down it's flanks, walked just like they do on youtube videos, etc. I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was off of Page RD and worked its way out of sight like it was very familiar with that area.

I know no one will likely believe me, but I know what my eyes saw. Can't say it WAS a wolverine, but unless there is a critter that looks and moves exactly like one, that can live or be released in NC, what else could it have been?

Sorry for the Hijack Moose. Seen one video where a grizzly bear leaves her sick cub behind because a wolverine is on their trail and she didn't want to face it. Also seen a video where some dude boxes or nets one so ya know.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

My only visual of an actual wolverine back then was from Mutual of Omaha videos. That and I recall looking one up in the ole Encyclopedia Britannica round the time "Red Dawn" came out (I was 11).

So what I saw looked EXACTLY like the video Moose posted, as well as any number of other wolverine videos now readily available. It had white down it's flanks, walked just like they do on youtube videos, etc. I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was off of Page RD and worked its way out of sight like it was very familiar with that area.

I know no one will likely believe me, but I know what my eyes saw. Can't say it WAS a wolverine, but unless there is a critter that looks and moves exactly like one, that can live or be released in NC, what else could it have been?

Sorry for the Hijack Moose. Seen one video where a grizzly bear leaves her sick cub behind because a wolverine is on their trail and she didn't want to face it. Also seen a video where some dude boxes or nets one so ya know.

probably trailing a black panther,,,,,,,,,,

JONOV

Twelve Pointer

Badgers. They look similar. Still not known to be around here but not nearly as far as a Wolverine…