Wintertime Crappie

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
how deep are yall finding the crappies ? I've been thinking about giving them a try this spring.

Trophybucks

from 30 ft deep on the bottom around brush piles to 14 deep hovering over the brush piles......also from 5-10 feet around piers with a 1/32 bobby garland.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
and they will bite like a beast this weekend, new moon= mid day action.

jordan looks like a parking lot at the bridges, dey be catching them.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Joe you know this is the most predictable time of year to catch em. Thinking About catching a limit Monday when I'm back in NC just cause I can ;)

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
FWIW, I was on the water working the first half of this week and guys were wearing out the crappie. They were fishing in 12-15' of water with little tiny jigs suspended below a cork. Going by the sidescan on the workboat, there were no less than 12 bejillion threadfins in there where they were fishing:):) They were fishing up and down a small trib right before it enters the river..

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Joe you know this is the most predictable time of year to catch em. Thinking About catching a limit Monday when I'm back in NC just cause I can ;)

can you even tell if you have one on in water this cold? i mean they are non fighters in warm water.

But i guess you can always eat them?

hope you catch you some Justin- but really hurry up and catch a real fish in MINN- ones with teeth- as in musky. :)

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They nail it and are extremely feisty most days but occasionally you just snatch em when you feel a little resistance.

4lb fire line and you can feel em fart

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Come on JoeyK, deer season isn't even over yet!

Ok, I've been thinking about slabs myself occasionally on these nice winter days.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You don't use a surf rod on them. :rolleyes: Use light tackle and a pound crappie will give you plenty of fight, especially this time of year when they are deep.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yes they have been biting at Jordan caught over 200 the past 2 days. You have to weed through a lot of short fish to get the nice ones. Caught a few 2 pounders. Only took about 40 home.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Whats the best way to catch some fish if you don't have any structure marked ? I fish badin some, but its hard to be serious/ afford more than one hobby. I've got some basic equipment. Not set up to do any spider rigging, wouldn't mind to but don't have the gear right now. My depth finder ( hummingbird 568) will mark way points and what not but no fancy side scan or anything like that. Been thinking about taking a day and just riding the lake and marking some brush piles or bottom structure and not taking any tackle, just spend about half a day doing a little research and ride the lake looking around.

JoeyK

Twelve Pointer
Come on JoeyK, deer season isn't even over yet!

Ok, I've been thinking about slabs myself occasionally on these nice winter days.
No it isnt over yet, but it never too early to start checking and seeing how the fishing is.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Around bridges and along the channels are where I would start. The bite was so light used only one rod per person with minnows.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Whats the best way to catch some fish if you don't have any structure marked ? I fish badin some, but its hard to be serious/ afford more than one hobby. I've got some basic equipment. Not set up to do any spider rigging, wouldn't mind to but don't have the gear right now. My depth finder ( hummingbird 568) will mark way points and what not but no fancy side scan or anything like that. Been thinking about taking a day and just riding the lake and marking some brush piles or bottom structure and not taking any tackle, just spend about half a day doing a little research and ride the lake looking around.

Badin has lots of brush piles...Look for docks with rod holders and lights on them...A lot of points have brush piles on them as well, usully from 18-22 feet of water...

Huffy

Eight Pointer
They nail it and are extremely feisty most days but occasionally you just snatch em when you feel a little resistance.

4lb fire line and you can feel em fart

You can get on em good right now on ur home turff justin hybirds are smoking crappie minnows too

Last edited:

CountryboyNC

Take some time and just look for brush piles, dont worry about fishing, get some marked on gps then go back and fish them another day. I hadn't got to crappie fish any in the last month or so, been killing the striper, hadn't had time for crappie. and deer hunting every day, too. and coon hunting 2 times a week. Deer season is about over, then I will hit the crappie hard! Look out norman!

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anybody have any reports for crappie on shearon harris? Going with my buddy in search of large mouth but, assuming it will be slow as it usually is for us, I want to drop a little crappie rig in the water.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Anybody have any reports for crappie on shearon harris? Going with my buddy in search of large mouth but, assuming it will be slow as it usually is for us, I want to drop a little crappie rig in the water.

if you will check out "turtle"'s fishing report on the NC angler forum you'll forget about te crappie. they are killing big bass jigging. with numerous perch tossed in.