Winter Weather thread

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hokkaido Japan type snow

so in the late winter of 1995 I was on a joint combined exercise on Hokaido Japan,,,,my team and I were out there for a few days doing "strat recon" then a day or so before the marines and Japanese came in it snowed,,,snowed for 36 hours,,the cancelled/delayed the exercise

3 feet of powder​
Utah like powder​
powder that you can walk through and barely feel,,​
it was beautiful that next few days,,​
then it warmed some,,,and settled,,,down to 8-12 inches or so,,,​
exercise was "restarted",,,,​
marine grunts were amazed we "survived" out there,,,​
We just thought about the cool fire we had and the beauty of the snow,,,​

Hokkaido does have some great snow

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
so in the late winter of 1995 I was on a joint combined exercise on Hokaido Japan,,,,my team and I were out there for a few days doing "strat recon" then a day or so before the marines and Japanese came in it snowed,,,snowed for 36 hours,,the cancelled/delayed the exercise

3 feet of powder​
Utah like powder​
powder that you can walk through and barely feel,,​
it was beautiful that next few days,,​
then it warmed some,,,and settled,,,down to 8-12 inches or so,,,​
exercise was "restarted",,,,​
marine grunts were amazed we "survived" out there,,,​
We just thought about the cool fire we had and the beauty of the snow,,,​

Hokkaido does have some great snow

Jealous. It has become sort of a tourist thing now. You can take a bus or walking trip through the 40 foot high walls of snow.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looking like no real chances of a storm anytime soon, there may be some scattered snow showers Sat outside the mts but it would be very localized. After that it looks warmer and we need to start looking at severe weather setups becoming the main weather issue, but the models still show major freezes into mid March so not quite tomato planting time yet.....

Still looks wet overall as well, but the spacing of the storms is getting a bit further apart so maybe a bit dryer....

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Looking like no real chances of a storm anytime soon, there may be some scattered snow showers Sat outside the mts but it would be very localized. After that it looks warmer and we need to start looking at severe weather setups becoming the main weather issue, but the models still show major freezes into mid March so not quite tomato planting time yet.....

Still looks wet overall as well, but the spacing of the storms is getting a bit further apart so maybe a bit dryer....
Nothing wrong with that. Thunderstorms are more exciting anyways!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
While unlikely the models hint at the possibility of snow again around the March 8-15th time frame.....and we could see lows in the upper 20's at any point in March.....this colder snowy solution keeps popping up every few runs usually around the 10th, chances are slim it actually pans out though.....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_54.png

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My sons 1st middle school baseball game is on the 13th. Let clear all the cold and wet out by then....

Yeah. I coach middle school softball and our first game is the 13th also....these cold wet practices are getting old

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Snowed in Roxboro last night. Not to amount to much more than a hoar frost, but the roof was white.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Long term looks wet but nothing frozen, it wont be the warmest few weeks though with several cold shots lined up....last few years we have seen this late season pattern of cool wet springs.

timber

Twelve Pointer
The agricultural weather calling for warmer than normal temps for for the next 90 days and wetter than normal for the same period