winter weather 2.0

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
its about time we got out of this stagnate pattern! I've given up on the ducks until the weather changes.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
models like the cad region again. Seems more ice is on the table just glancing at some of the last night temp profiles.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
models like the cad region again. Seems more ice is on the table just glancing at some of the last night temp profiles.

No. No. No......

Bring on the snow, but that ice mess needs to stay far, far away. Close call last time.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
No. No. No......

Bring on the snow, but that ice mess needs to stay far, far away. Close call last time.

12Z gfs is a quick burst of snow then right to sleet/freezing rain then rain for the triad area. The FV3 gfs will be out in about 45 minutes and we will see if its slightly colder for those areas. Outside of the triad this looks like sleet to rain at best as modeled.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
No. No. No......

Well unfortunately the cmc, icon and gfs models are more freezing rain than snow. In fact the cmc and and icon would be devastating ice events.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They calling for up to 5 inches snow here Sat luckily I'm off let it pour
Yes, saw that too...the good news is if we get it, and the forecast temps immediately go up into the 40's, should be pretty short lived...the bad news might be if it turns out to be an ice storm that brings down power lines, etc.
Wish I could spend a couple hours hiking around Falls Lake with a camera after a fresh 5-6 inch snow, but don't want to risk trying to drive there :)

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
The dang mosquitos are going to be so big this year you can use them for bait on a hook

Always hated to mix skeeters and duck hunting. Back in the day I was hunting one of the coastal WRC impoundments. Got out there and set up early, temp around 30 degrees or so. Finally started to get a little light and the phragmites I was setting in looked real fuzzy, kind of blurred. Thought I was going to have to find something to clean my glasses off before shooting hours started. Got a little more light as day was breaking and realized that there were thousands of skeeters "roosting" on the phragmites all around me. Guess what happened when it warmed up a couple of degrees? And me with no repellent........ :(

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
18z gfs is colder with more snow initially but it will change to sleet and freezing rain at some point. Waiting for the fv3 to get out far enough to show the storm.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So are the turkeys! Things keep going this way turkey season is gonna be tough.
I don’t want it hot during Turkey season........40 degree morning is about perfect......saw 9 longbeards in one field last week of the deer season......24 hens/jakes in same field next day.........

JD1107

I don’t want it hot during Turkey season........40 degree morning is about perfect......saw 9 longbeards in one field last week of the deer season......24 hens/jakes in same field next day.........
Past two weeks I’ve been seeing a lot in fields. Sat in the swamp last weekend duck hunting with Snuggs and listened to them gobble to everything they heard (wood duck calls, gun shots, crows everything). I want some cold weather!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
This one is looking similar to the last with exception of totals. This one probably wont have the big totals but still some decent snow. Models are a little flatter and less amped which draws down more cold air. Just what is needed to.avoid the ice.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
This one is looking similar to the last with exception of totals. This one probably wont have the big totals but still some decent snow. Models are a little flatter and less amped which draws down more cold air. Just what is needed to.avoid the ice.
Same line as last time or further south?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Certainly trending colder with a flatter low track that would keep the ice threat lower.....snow is awesome, freezing rain is the most useless form of precip......good for nothing, unless you enjoy having to chisel you way into vehicles, watching trees and power lines come down etc....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Same line as last time or further south?

Looks similar they trended colder this morning so really it won't be until Thursday or friday when the shortwaves get sampled to really pin down a transition zone.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Hybrid Miller B setup as depicted by some models means lots of sleet and Zr for the piedmont. Have fun with that garbage.....hope the massive ice totals on the cmc are wrong for you guys.