Winter projects

PSell

Four Pointer
Curious if I'm the only one excited about getting busy knocking projects off my to do list for my hunting property. Just curious what other people's goals are for the off season.

I'm expanding my food plots, adding some warm season grasses for bedding, planting fruit trees and conducting a prescribed burn...should be enough to keep this guy occupied.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I need to do alot of trimming on fire lanes and working on a couple small food plots.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Prepping equipment already . Going to start next week cuttin some trees out and bush hogging creek bottoms . Going to join and enlarge two food plots . Plan on having a five acre food plot in the creek bottoms when I'm done . Have plans to build a small cabin overlooking the food plot where I can sit on the covered porch and watch the deer and maybe shoot a couple next season .

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We need to do some dozer work on a thinned cut. Problem is I don't have one. Might rent one this winter, but I've got a few other important things going on this winter.

SM270

Ten Pointer
New gate up at the entrance. Creating 2 new .5 acre plots. Going to set 2 new stand and just adjust one in the back of the property. That’s going to be the only 3 stands on our little 70 acres. Hunt the fringes in between 2 cut overs and have bedding in the middle of the property and food on the outsides. Got some posting to do as well on the back side.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Walking swamp and posting back side of our lease per owners request. Had a problem with a club coming on thru the backside a couple of times this year. Actually caught trespasser the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We had a nice chat about property lines. Clearing paths, moving or putting up new stands, plant 2 small food plots on the lease. On the farm around my house, put a couple homemade feeders out, cut and trim limbs on main path, move a couple tree stands. Re-plant small food plot.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plowed up burn lines for the next prescribed burn on the longleaf pine plantation last week here in Harnett county.
Gonna have 10 acres clearcut in Rockingham county and plant back half in shortleaf pine and the other half indian grass.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I'm building me a new hunting buggy. Its going to be built on a golf cart frame but have a large clone engine and dump bed off an old yerf dog on it. I figure it will be nice to have something with a bed on it for hauling.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Have prepped most but still some fire lanes to plow getting ready for burning. Have 33 acres of 10yr old Longleaf, 51 acres of 3yr old LL and 34 acres of thinned Loblolly to burn. Trim fruit trees, finish a new path been pecking at, creek access for beaver control. Do some measuring and layout for fall Longleaf planting. Establish some fire lanes around the new LL areas. Gonna alter 2 food plots from roughly 100’x400’ to 50-60’x7-800’. Got a few things to do.

PSell

Four Pointer
Finally lined up a forester to come and to select harvest on 15 of my 30 acres...definitely a little nervous about too many trees being removed, but I'll be out there most of the time and have discussed my goals already walking the property. Other than marking the mature trees I want to preserve and observing a good portion of the process, does anyone have some advice on conducting a select harvest that doesn't leave a wasteland...photos are appreciated.

timber

Twelve Pointer
U s
Finally lined up a forester to come and to select harvest on 15 of my 30 acres...definitely a little nervous about too many trees being removed, but I'll be out there most of the time and have discussed my goals already walking the property. Other than marking the mature trees I want to preserve and observing a good portion of the process, does anyone have some advice on conducting a select harvest that doesn't leave a wasteland...photos are appreciated.

you select cutting hardwood or pine