Winter Maintenance?

dirtburn

Four Pointer
I remember when I was young we knew a guy that would only lime and fertilize his lawn in the winter. It got me thinking about perennial food plots, does anyone lime/fertilize their plots in the winter and are there any advantages or disadvantages of doing so.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Liming those heavy clay soils like you find in the Northern piedmont in January and February is usually necessary if you don't want to till the lime in. Takes 3 months for all the lime applied to start working and adjust the ph like it should is what the NCDA has told me . I usually lime in end of January and again in February up on the pasture in Rockingham county . Fertilize late February and March.
Lime in January
See the results in April

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I like to lime in February/March for fall plots. Everything I have read says lime takes 4-6 months to fully take effect. Obviously the advantage is it is actually working when you need it, and there's plenty of down time to get it done in the winter. I am not aware of any disadvantages. It doesn't have to be a perennial plot. Just any plot where you expect to plant in a few months. If it was a spring plot, I would lime right now.

Reactions: jug

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t think there’s a bad time to apply lime ?

I apply in February and sept.

Reactions: jug