Wind and deer movement.

Looks like a windy weekend. 15 mph sustained with gusts of 30. It’s been my observation that deer movement slows way down in windy conditions with the exception of the rut. Probably not gonna get up in a tree and sway around this weekend. What are y’all’s experiences with deer movement and high winds?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I tried it many times and never had success.

IMHO, it is pretty dangerous to hunt where I hunt in high winds. We constantly have large branches dropping. It wouldn't surprise me if the deer are reacting to this as well.

Also, with high swirling winds, it greatly compromises the deer's defenses -- everything is moving and scent is blown all over the place.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Look for food sources near bedding areas. They gotta eat and sleep. Now when the rut is on, they’ll move….

Also if you have any fence rows dividing ag fields you can stalk those areas and sneak up on them.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a conversation with @Hunting Nut this morning about this. I personally like hunting in the wind. I like getting out and going after them on the ground. It’s one of the best times, in my opinion, to still hunt thick creek bottoms with your nose into the wind. Throw in some light to moderate rain and it’s all that much better.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Look for food sources near bedding areas. They gotta eat and sleep. Now when the rut is on, they’ll move….

Also if you have any fence rows dividing ag fields you can stalk those areas and sneak up on them.
It's not my favorite time to hunt but if you can find them on the sheltered side of the bedding area and get downwind it can work just fine.

The other hard part is not being uncomfortable in a swaying stand, which I get.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
My biggest bow kill, which is not huge lol , decent 8 point came on an evening when I was debating on getting down early. The tree was swaying so bad, I was about to give it up. 3 bucks came in range. I got the biggest. Moral, if you feel safe and have the time, hunt when you can. Deer may move. If they are hungry they will go get food. They are already out there in whatever weather Mother Nature sends. Just my opinion.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Cameras I have had out in past tropical storms had deer moving all day. I prefer not to be in the woods, if winds sustain 20+ mph. I have had trees and limbs fall to close in the past.