Winchester SXP

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Any of you boys out there shoot a SXP. Little man has his eye on one for xmas and I don't know anyone that hunts with one. Lets hear some opinions

cgrhyne

Six Pointer
I recently purchased the big brother to the SXP, browning maxus, and I’ve been pleased with it. Different guns, but share some traits and are from the same Belgium parent company (FN). From what I’ve read, the SXP is a good reliable hunting weapon.

Edit... was thinking SX3/SX4. Not sure on the pump. I’m not coordinated enough to shoot and pump at the same time.

Last edited:

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Yup, agree with the guys above. The SX3/Sx4 are nice guns. He’ll be well off with the gas gun. The sx4 is around 700 if you find a sale and they also make a compact model

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I'll echo the others. Spend the extra $$ and go with a semi-auto. I have seen kids shooting pump guns that developed some terrible shooting habits.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve got one of the hybrid models brown cerakote/bottomlands I got from the NWTF last year. Haven’t hunted it but have shot skeet with it not a bad little gun and rides in the truck as a backup when I travel to kill ducks.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
He's not an auto fan. I have a few autos in the safe that he can shoot and every outing he grabs a pump. He gets enough trigger time between hunting and the school shooting team to know what he wants.
Thanks guys

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The only bad thing I ever heard about them was they were going off when pumping the action without pulling the trigger but that was a couple years ago. They got it corrected but the SXP took a hit on its following that I feel like has not been able to recover to date.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The only bad thing I ever heard about them was they were going off when pumping the action without pulling the trigger but that was a couple years ago. They got it corrected but the SXP took a hit on its following that I feel like has not been able to recover to date.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I have had all in the Sx models save the 4, tried the sxp but didn’t like it as much as my 870’s from a feel stand point. But I hear they’re quality guns.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I think (don’t quote me) that it’s also the fastest pump in terms of travel required to reload.

ahales

Four Pointer
I’ve got an sxp pump model for about 4 years. Haven’t had any trouble with it. Good shooting gun and fairly lightweight. Once you pull the trigger it starts to work the pump back. Called the fastest pump shotgun.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I had one I took on a trade a couple of years back and shot it a little bit during duck season. Prior to my inertia guns, I had exclusively shot 870's and Nova's. If you are familiar with a Nova, the stroke and pump are completely different. If you have ever shot a Nova, some suffer from "short stroking" and not loading the next round in. SXP has the opposite problem. When shot it starts to work the slide back. It makes pumping easier, but I felt it took some adjusting to get back use to switching between it and other pump guns. Overall it was a solid gun for the price, but as others have said, for duck hunting applications, I prefer the inertia guns. I will say I typically shot a 12, but a couple of years ago I bought a Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge and it has worked well for me, but also my niece and nephew.