Winchester 94AE Remodel

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Going to make it look old, sorta.....

And, since most old guns had pretty nice looking walnut stocks, I'll replace the sprayed brown white hardwood that came with the rifle.

Save lots of work, prefit, Danish oil finished walnut. I'm sure it'll need a touch of fitting but, looks grander and in an oil finish you get to feel the wood.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Looks nice. Want to rehab a set of Browning BL22 stocks? :)

<>< Fish

Let me know. I can strip. Get most dents out and finish like you want. Cost goes up with custom or high gloss glass finish. An oil stain rub is the way to go. But I like being creative the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Was going to try out a brass buttplate, antiqued of course. But its just not a good look. Too thin, a spacer would look wrong and the factory brass Winchester plate is , smaller than the oversize aftermarket wood. I don't want to pare the wood down either so will tie the brass accents I'm planning to use on the rifle together subtly. Screw heads, trigger, bands, sight, all subdued/antiqued with that old brass tarnish.25673

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
As for the wood buttstock. Its oversize in all the right places. Inside spots. Makes for good fitting. The exterior is a bit larger than I'd like for small hands, but for medium or large hands it'll be better than stock and no where like the clubs of 4x4 landscape timbers hanging on the marlin rifle frame. It'll look a dayum site better than the original wood too. Just an idea of how truly ugly brown stained polyurethane sprayed white hardwood really is, compared to even this straight grained walnut. Gaps will close up with just a touch of the files and removing a bit of wood inside the tang will make room for the coil main spring. Lastly, will have to drill the tang bolt hole, bed the tangs in epoxy and replace the black phillips head buttplate screws with brass slotted head screws.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
looks like it's missing the front site,,,so I found you one,,,,,,,,,needs some work

8b96b0a3896ec9acd94e542a96648c6268.jpg

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Some of the old school glitter arrived, promptly buffed off the Sporting House Gal look (It was as bright and shiny as Boob Gloss) and antiqued it. For-end band is nice, screw fits, but the forward barrel band arrived with the right screw and the wrong size hole. Oh well, I'll use it, gives me a chance to make an old style fix, a hand made sleeve nut to fill the over size hole with good thread. The factory gold trigger to age similarly later. Just a bit more brass to put on it.....then i'll get to the hard work.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Odds and ends still rolling in at the blistering pace of the US Postal Service.......Old School rear sight slot filler and the only front sling mount i've ever found to be secure on a magazine tube.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I would like the front sight base to mimic the fancy rear sight dovetail slot filler. i.e. the front sight base should have a pointed tail on it. Sometimes you can't buy what you want and so, try to make it. An old rear sight with a similar point was heated bright orange to make it soft enough to drill with HSS tooling. Centered and drilled for a tail that will help secure the horse head later on. Then the excess clipped and initial fitting to the front sight slot is completed. It'll be a good snug fit and if all go's well, the horse head won't go flying off into the woods in recoil.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Still gathering parts and checking initial fits. Struck out on the rings on the first go. Seems they are/maybe long out of production but I keep looking.....they'll turn up. In the meantime, the right bases came along, Redfields, threads in the receiver are fine and they lay in the same plane, so no shimming. My next to last set of old school and quite truly, Quick Detachable Sling Mounts. Been saving them for the right job. I hate the new ones, when ya want the daymn sling off the gun you don't need to be diddling with a small as heck plastic retention nut. And finally, 3.25" from the butt plate (far enough that the wood dosnt split out with use) a rear sling stud on a black spacer with proper QD sling mount. Now.....to go find them frickin rings........

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Big score today. Last of the external parts arrived. First fit completed and next comes tear down, strip, blue and finish.

Genuine Winchester 94 Gold Buttplate screws, always good to stick with factory parts, even the small ones.

And, found em. Low Angle Loc rings, engraved. A quick study in scope mounting, this one a 1.5x4.5 power, just perfect in my opinion, but plenty of room for a 3x9 power and even a 50mm objective for those first and last light shots at deer.261712617226173

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Gettin to the hard parts now. Finish fitting and glass bedding the stock. Remove all the tension in the forend/barrel/mag tube and glass bed forend. Touch up stock finish with about 4 more coats of danish oil. Strip the bluing and get it grey black in rust blue. Get the scope mounts centered up, etc. Couple months probably.....but thanks. She's looking pretty good so far.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Fitting and sealing the wrist. Acraglas bedding. Makes the fit skin tight, (important on a single screw attachment), minimizes movement and loosening over the years and helps keep the oils out of the end grain which eventually softens the wood. After a bit of clean up, hanging up for several hours until the epoxy kicks over.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Forend is now in the epoxy, full bedded. And, working on the Deers Eye View Caliber Identifier......

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Buttstock is all but done. Cleaning up the ooze out on the glass bedding. Inside and under the butt sealed with urethane. Steamed out a shipping mark and got almost all of the file marks off the buttplate left there when the stock was factory fitted. Rubbed the butt out with 0000 steel wool and first wax. A comparison shot of the waxed butt and unwaxed forend. Fitting the forend now so that it doesn't move then to final finish it. Last step will be to fix up the gold bands and magazine cap so the tube secure for sling mounting. Coming along.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Setting up the gold barrel band with the no threads and the to big hole in it (it must have been a factory reject that made it to Numrich) Drill the threaded (or what should have been threaded side) just over clearance size for a 6x48 screw and use a piloted head cutter to make a flat bottomed counter bore for the new filister head screw. (Will round that head over later so it blends with the band later.) On the other side of the band is the original counter-bore for the head of the original screw. Use a chamfer cutter to make room for the sleeve nut to sit in closer to flush. I made the sleeve nut from 1/4" half hard brass rod. Drilled, tapped 6x48 and roughly shaped and fitted. More shaping later after new screws arrive so the sleeve nut will blend better with the band. Usually the Winchester and Marlins can take a long 6x48 screw in place of the smaller diameter original screw without having to clean out space in the barrel slot or the mag tube slot.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Working up a Faux Case Color on the action. No golds or green, but the muted greys of very old color case. Rust blue should do the trick, so the first step is to polish off the factory blue and then, make it rusty. Here, 5 minutes into the first several hours of rusting.