will people learn the lesson after the coronavirus pandemic and move away from mega cities?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most feel like DBC mentioned, but there are many living in the suburbs who would like to get out of the neighborhood, while keeping a reasonable commute. I suspect more will take a hard look at that after this. They want a nice garden, and some chickens, and room for their kids to play.

Our family has a fair amount of contact with suburban families from Charlotte. Almost half of them have talked to me about finding a house on some land out in the country to get out of the "neighborhood". And that was before this incident.

There's a reason I built my life well outside of the city limits. Our cities are 3 days food shortage away from complete anarchy. And LE won't even stop a "protest".

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
One silver lining for all of us rural area dwellers is the vast majority of free housing, transportation, wifi etc is in big cities. So worthless people have a harder time in rural areas where you have to pay your way. I hope it stays that way.

Never mind on the edit... LOL...

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
No, because the city has other benefits, including from a healthcare related perspective. I've lived in big cities and see why people like living in big cities. It's not my personal preference but that doesn't mean it doesn't have advantages. It's like driving a sports car. It isn't my choice for a daily driver but I get why people do drive them.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I hope not.
If they move away from the mega cities they might move out here to the swamp where I'm at.
I like it here in the swamp without all those people.
I hope they stay away.

Mike

Is your nickname shrek? Just kidding. I like greenville area. Close to Raleigh or the beaches without the hustle and bustle of either.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
After working in the city of Durham for the last 4 years i will tell you.....they wouldn't last a week.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Today @ 8AM Mecklenburg Co.(Chlt) "ordered" residents "to stay @ home" & banned private & public gatherings >10 @ the risk of a Class 2 misdemeanor. As a country boy consigned to city life most of my life, those of you that live in rural environments should count your lucky stars. As I boy I was fortunate to have been able to spend a lot of my out of school summer time w/ relatives in Duplin Co. in eastern NC. My relatives farmed & my cousins & I hunted & fished. These were magical times for me. I also have seen the effects of "city slickers" moving to rural areas. When I lived in Franklin in western NC for a short while, the residents used to complain about the "Florida Yankees" moving in & buying up the land. Well, the only reason they could is because the mountaineers were selling off their Daddy's Daddy's Daddy's...land for financial gain. My advice to those that are fortunate to be blessed w/ living in rural areas. DONT SELL YOUR LAND. If you do, be ready for city slickers to invade & change your way of life.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, because the city has other benefits, including from a healthcare related perspective. I've lived in big cities and see why people like living in big cities. It's not my personal preference but that doesn't mean it doesn't have advantages. It's like driving a sports car. It isn't my choice for a daily driver but I get why people do drive them.

I'd say it's a fair analogy. The sports car is fun to drive for a little while, but no way would it suffice for my everyday life. What am I going to tow with? What if there's snow? What if I slip off the road in the mud? What about hauling that firewood or fertilizer? Or a family of 5 and a wet dog?

Cities are fun for a day, two at the most - go to a ball game, maybe visit some attraction, but they are entirely insufficient for meeting my everyday needs. And when adversity comes, you are completely dependent on others to pull you out of the mess you're in.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I'd say it's a fair analogy. The sports car is fun to drive for a little while, but no way would it suffice for my everyday life. What am I going to tow with? What if there's snow? What if I slip off the road in the mud? What about hauling that firewood or fertilizer? Or a family of 5 and a wet dog?

Cities are fun for a day, two at the most - go to a ball game, maybe visit some attraction, but they are entirely insufficient for meeting my everyday needs. And when adversity comes, you are completely dependent on others to pull you out of the mess you're in.
It's funny...you talk to a lot of city people and they think the same way, "fun for a day or two but I like being able to have everything at my fingertips and close." I get it. I liked being able to walk to the grocery store and the coffee shop around the corner and the hardware store and the parks. At some point though I wanted a big yard and more room generally.

And honestly I don't know what you mean in terms of being dependent on others, most of us are dependent on others in one way or another, at least sometimes.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Hope they stay put! A mass exit from cities would cause the whole country to be like a suburb, no real country would be left. I live on the outskirts of Raleigh and hate it. Won’t be long til I can cut a trail outa here.

I’ve said it before, I feel the country is split more rural vs urban more so than liberal and conservative.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I think it will be about the same some might look for reason mentioned. Some land, space for kids etc. IMO most "city" dwellers when looking to get out of the city move to the suburbs. People from the suburbs to move to BFE. I would think it kind of rare for a life long inner city resident to want to move to the country.

I have recently done a lot of contracting work in Charlotte for Millenial aged people. They are happy living there and I get it. For a young person who likes to socialize they are within walking distance of bars and restaurants. I like visiting there on occasion for the same reasons.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And honestly I don't know what you mean in terms of being dependent on others, most of us are dependent on others in one way or another, at least sometimes.
Well in continuing with the analogy, my truck In the short term is dependent primarily on the gas station. If I run in a ditch, I can put it in 4W, low, diff lock if need be. If I have a flat, I’ve got a full size spare, and all of the tools needed to change it. And with advanced planning, I can haul quite a few gas cans in the bed if needed. Etc. etc, etc. The city resident, like the sports car can’t be independent for many necessities for more than a few days. I know many rural people who can go for weeks or months... some longer ... if you shut it all down tomorrow. That includes medical, security, food, everything.
That’s not to say that all rural residents are prepared- they are not. But they have a much higher capacity to be so than someone living in a 900sq ft. apartment in the city. Or even the suburban homeowner on a 1/4 acre.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well in continuing with the analogy, my truck In the short term is dependent primarily on the gas station. If I run in a ditch, I can put it in 4W, low, diff lock if need be. If I have a flat, I’ve got a full size spare, and all of the tools needed to change it. And with advanced planning, I can haul quite a few gas cans in the bed if needed. Etc. etc, etc. The city resident, like the sports car can’t be independent for many necessities for more than a few days. I know many rural people who can go for weeks or months... some longer ... if you shut it all down tomorrow. That includes medical, security, food, everything.
That’s not to say that all rural residents are prepared- they are not. But they have a much higher capacity to be so than someone living in a 900sq ft. apartment in the city. Or even the suburban homeowner on a 1/4 acre.

I suppose... I could easily (without having space issues) have a month's worth of food in a 600 sf apartment (and often did.) Most people, rural or otherwise, aren't as independent as they think they are. Very few in fact.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
People are social animals. The vast majority of them like living, being around other people .. this is why we have cities now and have had for as long as we have been a species. We like this so much that we fight and die over these cities.

People will not stop living in cities because of something like this, generally speaking. Not for me, but I have never claimed to be in the majority in most cases.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
They have been slowly migrating towards the country for years. Every piece of rural land close to the city has already been mowed down and developed. Move in on you and try to tell the folks who've been there for years how to live and what they need to be doing. It's just been a matter of time!