Will he make it?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be surprised of he made it.

About 10 years ago we had a button that had been hit by a car. Compound fractures of both back legs. My dad saw him from a distance and knew something was wrong but nit was so thick he couldn't tell. About 6 days later I managed across him and put him out of his misery. Didn't punch a tag and his infection was horrible.

thandy

Ten Pointer
Well he showed back up tonight and was actually eating corn instead of just standing around.
They are tough animals. The neighbor and me were hunting the same buck a couple years ago. My mom hit the buck one morning taking my niece to school right past my house. Hit it dead center of a new Tundra the deer rolled down the road, got up and ran off. About 3 weeks later the neighbors son shot the buck and its leg was broke and one side was green under the skin. It never showed any signs of damage on game cams or the morning it was shot.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The main value of Wanton Waste laws is to keep slobs from giving hunters a bad name.

exactly

and my rules aren't bounded by what's legal or not legal (and to those who pounce, I try to always do legal),,, so even though NC has no wanton waste law, I operate with one,,

as far as not really edible stuff (like a coyote),,, puuhleease!

ref dog food,,, I don't care WHAT folks do with their game,,, just USE it if at all possible,,,for something,,, heck game meat is a great option for many/most dogs,,,

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen them survive some wounds that were pretty bad. In fact, 3 adjacent landowners decided to give a certain few bucks a pass this year to see what they would become for next year. I actually saw the biggest one and watched him for several minutes and was able to confirm everything we thought about the buck from trail cam pictures. Turns out this buck was shot sometime in the first week or so of Dec in the leg. His wound is pretty bad, and his body is in much worse shape, but his wound isn't as bad as the button head in this picture. We opted to let him live and see what would happen.

They are tough animals. It's probably 50/50 for both IMO.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
thumbing threw some cam pics last night and noticed this deer hunched up with ears down alot and got looking at it rear passenger side wheel.Screenshot_20220126-200832_Tactacam Reveal.jpg
must be fairly recent, deer has not strayed far from the area and generally stays for long periods. kicked it up walking around during the snow not 20yds from the area.
I will keep an eye out and report to see what happens. Hate to see anything suffer but as seen above, worse have made it and everything needs to eat. I have had yote on camera but only a couple a year. curious to see what happens

Last edited:

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Its been my experience seeing wounded deer that rear leg injury they can cope with better than front and can move with the other deer except on a dead run they fall behind a little

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its been my experience seeing wounded deer that rear leg injury they can cope with better than front and can move with the other deer except on a dead run they fall behind a little
this one is mobile, but doesn't go far unless it needs too. Just hard to watch. bone is sticking out bad. gotta hurt something fierce when you forget to keep it up...lol

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
I’ve got a doe with new issues of a front leg being mangled, she’s slow moving but she’s still going. Time will tell.