Wilkes Co youth deer hunt offered- 12-17 yr olds

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks CRC, I just booked a hunt for my son. We were going to hunt with Muzzleloaders behind the house (We live in Wilkes County) but that will be something different.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks all My boy (Beau Hunter is his name) already has a few deer under his belt since getting his first at age 9. He turned 17 last week on the 14th, but this will be a great time to get some father/son time together in the woods since I will have to sit with him and can't hunt myself. He hasn't gotten a deer yet with a shotgun and I have an 870 with rifled barrel and Leupold shotgun scope set up for deer hunting for him to use. (Have to see what I got available for Sabots).

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We went Saturday my son got a doe and an adventure. While we were tracking the doe a big 8 point literally ran over us. His doe jumped in the river and swam a couple of hundred yards toward the other side and then turned around and came back. When it got a shore he shot it again and again it jumped in the river. MY son promptly jumped in the river and grabbed the deer and held it under for awhile. We dragged it out and were fed a great lunch by Wildlife Resources.

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
I’m curious about this as well. What is the setup? Are there deer stands? Are there giant bucks under every tree? Every other tree? What makes it unusual? Always interested in getting my kid a new experience.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
7 youth hunters 2 (deer not youth hunters) were killed by 11:30 am. You were only allowed one deer so the youth and his father that got the 4 point and me and my son left after the lunch they provided us. They had 20 slots but since the first Saturdays' briefing was opener of ML and the second Saturday was the second Saturday of ML not many signed up.
Warrior Creek campground is 1475 acres with parts of it being abandoned and not maintained. There were 7 zones and we drew zone 3. No stands but you could put your own up and were allowed to put bait out a week before the hunt. We put out a 5 gallon pail of apples and 5 gallons of corn all of which were gone when we got there this past Saturday. We saw a total of 7 deer Saturday morning. Youth ages 12 - 17

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
7 youth hunters 2 (deer not youth hunters) were killed by 11:30 am. You were only allowed one deer so the youth and his father that got the 4 point and me and my son left after the lunch they provided us. They had 20 slots but since the first Saturdays' briefing was opener of ML and the second Saturday was the second Saturday of ML not many signed up.
Warrior Creek campground is 1475 acres with parts of it being abandoned and not maintained. There were 7 zones and we drew zone 3. No stands but you could put your own up and were allowed to put bait out a week before the hunt. We put out a 5 gallon pail of apples and 5 gallons of corn all of which were gone when we got there this past Saturday. We saw a total of 7 deer Saturday morning. Youth ages 12 - 17
Thank you. Sounds fun. Can you drive trucks to the zones or do you hike in?

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
You can drive trucks to the zone. We drove to zone 3 got to a locked gate and hiked maybe 200 yards to where we set up our stands. When it came time to leave the park ranger unlocked the gate and we drove to where we could load our gear and deer.

That sounds convenient. I bet there are some monsters on that piece if this is the only deer hunting allowed.